The line of fire: The role of Scottish troops in theTroubles

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland (Op BANNER)' started by oldbaldy, Jun 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

continues

The line of fire: The role of Scottish troops in theTroubles - Books - Scotsman.com

2. Woo how exciting, let's have a book about the Geordies role during the troubles or maybe Soldiers from the Midlands role during the troubles. Non book, nobody will buy it.

3. I will buy is because it has Scottish in the title.

I am also looking forward to the release of "Scottish Tartan through the ages" and "The race for the moon, a Scottish Perspective"

• Like Like x 4
  4. Good greif.... :(

5. Yeah I'm all for that, are you heading it up? Put me down for a copy bezza. Cheers.

6. Looks like a good book tbh.

The Scots have often had dramas with the Irish bit, that perhaps English (and Welsh) soliders may not perceive. I remember two clowns from Scotland being collected from a Republican drinking establishment. They were under the impression that (despite being British soldiers) seeing as they supported Celtic or some non-sense they could pop in for a Guiness. The lads were returned to safety, but it could have gone so wrong...

Would you ever get an English or Welsh lad trying that?

7. No sympathy from me as they knew the risks better than most.

8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

9. We had something very similar in NTH many years ago & again in Omagh..

10. Just came across this thread, sorry to resurrect it - though the bit in the review where the writer claims that Scottish soldiers were in a state of terror is absolute bollocks, as I suspect the book is - can't be bothered to read it.

XXV

11. PWO

PWO

I remember one of the Irish Sunday rags running an article saying the Falls road Provo Battalion were in a state of panic. During the customary Easter celebrations the Jocks came over en masse and partied hard in the local bars with the 'bhoys'. Next thing they know a new regiment came over full of a load of these Jocks. Seems economics had hit hard and these lads had forgone the brainwashing and joined up.