The Limitations of Interrogation

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Hugh McManners, Nov 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The use of brutality and torture in interrogation by democracies in the face of terrorism is contentious, divisive and dangerous. Terrorists seek to undermine the people’s belief in the states’ ability to govern, so if democracies can be forced into using totalitarian measures, terrorists have succeeded in their aim.

2. You are talking rubbish about something you have absolutely no qualifications nor training or experience to back it up with. What is YOUR experience of interrogations / interviews???

You are a journo. Now do one
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

This Hugh McManners: Hugh McManners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

29 Commando RA
  4. So, ex SBS, ex Falklands Vet, (if it's the same person and I strongly suspect it is) and he getting stressy over pouring water over someones head to cause them distress?? I see a pattern here. Practice it when your serving (coz our SF are total pussy cats aren't they?) and then, when no one wants to publish what you have to write (coz it's old hat) scream 'torture', 'inhumane treatment' and write a load of self serving bollox to justify it.

Hey, it pays a wage.

And yeah, still a ******* journo
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

he does pad it out a bit there but he did a good book on ptsd which I've got upstairs, not sure why digging out an old article helps.
  6. Money ??????
  7. I see the 'Phil Shiner' effect here. There is a huge wad to be made in the 'Torture' / 'Inhumane Treatment' of DPs in IRQ and AFG. Looks like they are all crawling out the woodwork to get a bite!
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well it could compete with that current american program to desensitise its troops to interogation from hostile elements. something I think they failed to learn from vietnam where they reprogrammed troops to hate and then found that it wasnt so easy to reset afterwards. ruined a lot of young lives that.

mcnab makes a big thing of being beaten and losing a few teeth, if they really wanted to now something they would have taken him apart with a chainsaw knuckle by knuckle or burnt holes in him like they did with the kurds, marsh arabs and generals too keen on advancement. 10 mins being waterboarded isnt pleasant but you know its going to end so I cant see the value of it.

I'd give the poster the benefit of the doubt as he isnt a bad sort and doesnt push his former rank around like some, shame his tv career died out as he was pretty good.
  9. If the videos that are around are to be believed, then 10 seconds is too much.
    The obvious problem with torture is that the subject may well tell you anything to make it stop. The British found that QCs made the best interrogators during the last war. The Germans found that some incredibly brave people were able to withstand the most appalling physical pain and still not divulge anything; for all that, understandably, many poor people did give way.
    The Americans, and possibly the British, may have outsourced for these services. Who knows? Some one does but they're not telling - as yet.
  10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I just had a thought, because I was involved in the Internment of all those nice Irish fellers some time ago should I try for compo because of the stress it caused me for inflicting unpleasent things to them,
  12. I`m with HM on this subject. For those who support torture, just how far do you propose to go? Why should we lower ourselves to the same depths as those of our enemies. For ACABs benefit I have no experience of torture, but that doesn't mean I cannot form an intelligent opinon. However I did know a couple of Germans, one ex Gestapo and one ex SS, who were able to tell me quite a bit about "obtaining information from uncooperative persons". To cut a long story short, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, the real problem is sorting the wheat from the chaff, and that frequently takes tool long.
  14. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Meanwhile British officials call Bush's claims bollocks:

15. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Just so there is no misunderstanding, Hugh's blogs are auto posted on here using an RSS feed. This is something we've done with his permission and because I thought they are quite interesting/likely to stimulate a bit of discussion. There is no suggestion that this is fishing for quotes or anything like that although he would probably quite like you to buy his new book on GW1!

Hope that clarifies things

Sent using Tapatalk from my android phone