The Life and Death of Private Harry Farr

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
For those with an interest in WW1 (posted in Current Affairs under 'Battleshock')

The Combat Stress Armistice Day Lecture - Tuesday 7 November 2006

with guest speaker Professor Simon Wessely

We are pleased to invite you to the Combat Stress Annual Armistice Lecture with guest speaker, Civilian Consultant Advisor in Psychiatry to the British Army, Professor Simon Wessely from King's College, London.

All proceeds from this event will be used to fund our remedial treatment and welfare services on behalf of traumatised veterans throughout the UK and Ireland.

The veterans we support represent every campaign and peacekeeping mission that British Forces have been involved in since the Second World War, including Northern Ireland, the Falklands, Gulf War I, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan, and Iraq.

Sadly, in the last year we were referred 948 new veterans. This, compared to 759 in the previous year, is unfortunately part of a growing trend. If the rise in new referrals continues at this rate we will soon pass the 1,000 mark.

We do hope you will be able to join us for this insightful and very topical lecture by Professor Wessely, hosted in RUSI's exquisite Whitehall venue.

We look forward to meeting you at our Armistice Lecture.

The lecture will take place as follows:

11.00 Tea, coffee
and registration
12.00 Lecture begins
13.00 Sandwich lunch

Professor Wessely’s lecture is entitled:

"The Life and Death of Private Harry Farr".

An interesting and timely talk about a Private executed in 1916 for cowardice, despite having a history of “shell shock”. After a long campaign by the family, Defence Secretary Des Browne recently decided to recommend a posthumous pardon for Private Farr and others executed during the First World War for military offences. Professor Wessely will discuss what we know about the trial and execution of
Private Farr, and more specifically, what was “shell shock” in 1916?

Simon Wessely is Professor of Epidemiological and Liaison Psychiatry at the Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College, London, and Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist at King’s and Maudsley Hospitals. He recently spent a sabbatical in the Department of War Studies at King’s College, London.

His research interests are between medicine and psychiatry, clinical epidemiology and military health. He has published over 450 papers on many subjects, including epidemiology, post-traumatic stress, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic pain, Gulf War illness, military health and terrorism. His current research is around various aspects of
military health, including the so-called “Gulf War Syndrome”; psychological stressors of military life; PTSD; risk communication; risk and benefits of military service; screening and health surveillance within the Armed Forces; social and psychological outcomes of ex-service personnel and historical aspects of military psychiatry.

He has also just completed a major study on the health of 12,000 UK military personnel who took part in the invasion of Iraq, recently published in The Lancet. He is Director of the King’s Centre for Military Health Research Unit at King’s College, London and Civilian Consultant Advisor in Psychiatry to the Army. He has recently co-authored a book on Clinical Trials in Psychiatry, and a new history of shell shock.

RSVP: The Fundraising Department, COMBAT STRESS
Tyrwhitt House, Oaklawn Road,
Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 0BX
Tel : 01372 841620 Fax : 01372 841693
Email : dfr02@combatstress.org.uk
'They shall not grow old as we who remain grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
We Will Remember Them'

Le Chevre

PS as at right now, there are 60 tickets left - and going like range stew on a February day.

However, see this which is not quite so glowing a review of the good Professor Wesseley.

http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/Profes...llege_lecture_by_Professor_Simon_Wessely.html

I cannot get away to attend. My question - were I able to put it - is why Soldier E gets PTSD when Soldiers A,B,C,D,F,G etc either side of him through any battle/attack did not. Most likely will have come from similar backgrounds and will have similar training and support. If it is because the lad is 'different', what is being done to identify why and what different so that correction may be applied prior to stress situation?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
OldRedCap said:
However, see this which is not quite so glowing a review of the good Professor Wesseley.

http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/Profes...llege_lecture_by_Professor_Simon_Wessely.html

I cannot get away to attend. My question - were I able to put it - is why Soldier E gets PTSD when Soldiers A,B,C,D,F,G etc either side of him through any battle/attack did not. Most likely will have come from similar backgrounds and will have similar training and support. If it is because the lad is 'different', what is being done to identify why and what different so that correction may be applied prior to stress situation?
Thank you for the link - interesting.

It goes to show that what is called 'Peer review' amongst academics makes the average Dynasty bitch-slapping hair -pulling contest look comparatively civilised !

The point of the lecture, above all else in my view, is to help raise some much needed cash for a charity which offers a UNIQUE service to our comrades who are injured. The fact that their particular injury cannot be solved with a Field Dressing and a Chinagraph 'M' on the forehead means it is very hard to treat. That an injury has occurred as a result of their Service is tough to gainsay (much as the Treasury would like us to).

If Wessley's view is contentious then at least those who hear him first-hand will be able to form their own view.

Not being a trick cyclist myself ,my presence in the audience would be in support of Combat Stress rather than as someone who is familiar with the ins-and outs of PTSD, other than a broad understanding. Nor will I have a calculator to hand to check just HOW MANY angels the good professor sets dancing on a pin-head!

If I cannot hope to see you there,I will see if a transcript is available.

Lee Shaver