The Life and Death of Private Harry Farr

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Goatman, Oct 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

For those with an interest in WW1 (posted in Current Affairs under 'Battleshock')

'They shall not grow old as we who remain grow old
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
    At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
    We Will Remember Them'

Le Chevre

PS as at right now, there are 60 tickets left - and going like range stew on a February day.
  2. However, see this which is not quite so glowing a review of the good Professor Wesseley.

I cannot get away to attend. My question - were I able to put it - is why Soldier E gets PTSD when Soldiers A,B,C,D,F,G etc either side of him through any battle/attack did not. Most likely will have come from similar backgrounds and will have similar training and support. If it is because the lad is 'different', what is being done to identify why and what different so that correction may be applied prior to stress situation?
  3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thank you for the link - interesting.

It goes to show that what is called 'Peer review' amongst academics makes the average Dynasty bitch-slapping hair -pulling contest look comparatively civilised !

The point of the lecture, above all else in my view, is to help raise some much needed cash for a charity which offers a UNIQUE service to our comrades who are injured. The fact that their particular injury cannot be solved with a Field Dressing and a Chinagraph 'M' on the forehead means it is very hard to treat. That an injury has occurred as a result of their Service is tough to gainsay (much as the Treasury would like us to).

If Wessley's view is contentious then at least those who hear him first-hand will be able to form their own view.

Not being a trick cyclist myself ,my presence in the audience would be in support of Combat Stress rather than as someone who is familiar with the ins-and outs of PTSD, other than a broad understanding. Nor will I have a calculator to hand to check just HOW MANY angels the good professor sets dancing on a pin-head!

If I cannot hope to see you there,I will see if a transcript is available.

Lee Shaver