Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Late Viv Stanshall - Walthamstow's finest

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
A lot of people (including me) play 'I'm the Urban Spaceman' without knowing much about the Bonzo Dog Band and it's central muse the late Viv Stanshall.

I came across this on Youtube, following a post in the 'What music are you listening to ' thread:

Wiki thing here : Vivian Stanshall - Wikipedia

Thanks for the laughs Mister S.

The co-producer of the record, Apollo C Vermouth, was Paul McCartney.

He did, pretty much, end his days there. He was a regular of a number of pubs as the alcohol got a grip and he lost his welcome one at a time. He was often to be found downstairs in The Queens, Hamlet Court Road at live gigs. Also in any of the pubs there. He was barred from The Cricketers just for being drunk and 'loudly dressed' on a Tuesday evening (I was there).

He used to drink in The Plough, next to the Westcliff Theatre and was looked after by the 'arty' types who used it. Always drunk, or well on the way, but never a bother.

Lads from a local TA unit used to go out on the piss, on local weekends, in Southend. It was part of the craic to sometimes start the night in The Cliff, a smallish pub in a quiet street, where the regular clientel were very happy to buy a drink for fit young lads (if you get my drift;)), before moving on to the hotspots of Southend proper. Now, it was a safe environment for a deeply alcoholic and vulnerable Viv Stansall to spend his evenings. There were theatrical types and students too, So it wasn't a bad place. Very 'rainbow' now though.

One night, we were in there, and amongst a bunch of studenty/arty t***s was a big, fat, bullying, young scrote who was making himself the centre of attention. He was, apparent a 'performance poet' and was making the most of this tiny notoriety. As part of his showing off he began taking the p*** out of, then physically humiliating, a very drunk Viv Stansall. Embarrassing at first, then very cruel and unpleasant, to the extent that a few of our fellers moved closer and one of them had a word. In the way of many bullies he brassed it out to his mates but the behaviour stopped. After a while, a shaken Viv took a taxi and we went off to Southend. Obviously, the talentless, fat f*** had no idea who Viv Stansall was.

Imagine my disgust, some years later to find said talentless, fat, f*** standing in for the monumentally talented Viv Stansall at the anniversary gig. He still makes me sick whenever I see him.

Often I'll change the channel when he appears. I don't want him in my living room.

The talentless, bullying, fat f***.

PJ?

I still have a vinyl copy of 'Gorilla' - occasionally use 'Big Shot ' as the Station Close Down Theme :)

Is Vic there?

I've got TDIGG on vinyl. Not the original, a re-release on Sunset a few decades ago.
Apologies to @Kirkz for treating my plastic so barbarically.

20200806_174245.jpg

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I always thought that he came from sarfend . They are very proud of him here .

Moved there in his teens. Worked on the Kursaal fair ground.

I have been listening to Sir Henry on YT over the last couple of weeks. I can only listen to 15 minutes max as it turns me into a giggling crying wreck. My wife doesn't get it but we agree t differ.

......turbaned ruffian covered in gay cabalistic symbols.......deserves remembering for just that one line,never mind anything else.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have been listening to Sir Henry on YT over the last couple of weeks. I can only listen to 15 minutes max as it turns me into a giggling crying wreck. My wife doesn't get it but we agree t differ.

A link would be appreciated :)

My thanks to 'Three Waistcoats' Lefevbre :

Last edited:

Latest Threads