The Last Victor landing - RAF Shawbury

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Came across this rather old post on YouTube, thought some may never have seen one airborne. Anyway, enjoy.

The video shows the last flight of a Victor - the delivery of Handley Page Victor XH672 to Shawbury on 30th November 1993 for preservation at Cosford Air Museum. The full program also includes the delivery flights of the 2 other preserved Victors to new owners in 1993: XL231, Lusty Lindy, to Elvington and XM715, Teasin' Tina, to Bruntingthorpe

Last edited:
Probably better off in the RAF area of the site rather than the AAC one.

Surely the last landing was just after the last (admittedly inadvertent) take-off at Bruntingthorpe?

Gazelles, Wessexes and a Victor. Seems like only yesterday. :(

Didn't the commentary say that the runway there was not up to the job?
That's one of the snags with a machine that you need to land, and then attempt to stop.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Probably better off in the RAF area of the site rather than the AAC one.
Feel free to re-locate.

I don't know how effective they would have been in their designated role, but the V-Bombers were majestic ac.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
An interesting piece.

I think you are right. The item is of interest, though.
The commentary is also not quite right when mention is made of the last flight of a V-bomber.....
well it was what it was built for I suppose.

They used to fly them into RAF Catterick,having shut the A1,park them up and 'blow the bloody wheels off' set them on fire and we'd put them out,these days its all done with LPG.