The last surviving Union Jack ......

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by JP47, Oct 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The last surviving Union Jack from the Battle of Trafalgar expected to make £15,000 at auction

The only surviving Union Jack that flew at the Battle of Trafalgar has been uncovered for the first time in more than 200 years.
    The flag, that is peppered with holes from splinter fragments, was presented to a popular Scots sailor, lieutenant James Clephan, after the historic battle as an award.

A nice piece of history if you have a few quid to spare

LINK

2. If I had the money I would have that!
    I susect it may make an awful lot more than £15k, hopefully it will stay in Britain with its new owner.
    Items like this should be considered a national treasure.

3. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to a collector in the US or Japan. It would be nice if it went to a museum in the UK.

4. I agree, hopefully some kindhearted soul with money to burn will bid and kindly donate to a suitable place...I'm not holding my breath waiting though

5. Et moi aussi.

6. just checked the piggy bank and i'm about £14995 short
    if i won the lotto i'd definitely put a bid in

7. Should be bought for the nation and kept at the RN museum in pompey. Displayed onboard Victory even.

8. Good shout that, it will be interesting to see where it ends up

9. unfortunately, it'll probably end up overseas with a private collector
    who'll lock it away in a vault, look at it once a year and then sell it on in 46 years time or so and make an absolute killing on it...

10. As the ARRSE membership stands at 48,793, if we all put in a mere 50 pence each then we could easily raise the money to keep the Union flag in the uk.

Any thoughts?

Stilts

11. Good plan there needs an organiser and as I still haven't got drunk in a brewery yet I defer to a better one

12. I doubt that the real ARRSE membership is anything like that number. I have 2 accounts because I lost the log-in details of my first. The generated traffic does not seem to be enough for that amount of active members.

EDIT TO ADD: A damned fine idea though.

13. Anyone checked on rum ration to see if it is there?

14. Ok a pound each then? We could even offer it out to Rum Ration!

Stilts

15. Contacted the shipmates waiting for answer