The last king of Jordan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Feb 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1139395467962&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

Naveh's comments were leaked from a closed-door meeting conducted by the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs.

I suppose that if Washington would demand 'free' elections in Jordan then this scenario would be possible.

2. Are the Palestinians Jordanian citizens? If not that is probably enough of a fudge to keep everyone (except the Palestinians) happy. IIRC the Palestinians kicked off a civil war against King Hussein in the late 1960s or so (Black September anyone?) and lost rather badly. I can't see any Jordanian government letting them gain power after that for a very long time indeed.

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Having been to Jordan, I think that the percentage of Palestinians (tho' actually this is a hollow category, the nation was Transjordan, and prior to that Bilad As Shams more a region than a nation) is over 50% of whom nearly all have Jordanian citizenship. The present King (who is half British, as some Jordanian Police joked with me, 'my cousin') has a Palestinian wife so not only is the Palestinian population around 50%, if we are talking 'blood' so are the King's Children. As a Hashim I think that the King really has little to fear from Hamas, tho' obviously they won't be too keen to hear he's doing 4 O'clock tea and cucumber sandwiches with the Israelis.

4. I agree that Hamas and co are no real danger to Jordan, internal Islamists are too small to count at the moment but my reading is that there is tension in the country not only between certain sections of the Palestinian community and the Hashemites and the indigenous pre 48 population but there is also tension between the ruling elite and the ordinary people based on economic and political problems. I don't think Abdullah will be the last king but if a succession battle say between Hussein and Hamazh breaks out then these tensions could readily come to the surface.
    The Jordanian government, I think, is coming to the position where it does have to liberalise or the tensions between the populace and the elite will continue to grow.

5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

That seems a reasonable appraisal.