The Last Fighting Tommy;The Life of Harry Patch..

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by spike7451, Jun 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Just got this from Tesco today (on offer for £3.86) & have'nt put it down as yet!
  2. Written very much in a reminiscent style, not 'ghosted-up' and over polished.

He comes across as what I can only describe as the definition of a gentle man, with a deep and abiding love for his county, country and countryside, who also happened to be a frigging phenomenal shot: shooting the bull out with 29 rounds, writing his initials on the target with a Lewis Gun, or calmly deciding to disable a charging Bosche with a revolver rather than shooting to kill.

Despite this, the book tells the full story of his life, treating his career as a plumber equally with his service in WW2 as a Auxiliary Fireman (I did have to laugh when he told of being strafed by a bomber while on duty mid-raid and almost wistfully wishing for a Vickers as it would have been an easy shot...).

They really don't make them like that any more.
  3. Thanks for that Spike. Always better when you get a recommendation. I shall look out for it.
  4. I read this book last year. One cannot fail to be moved in any way.
  5. Just finished on Sniper 1. This is next to read and already positioned by the Bog