Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Last Ever Brexit Thread

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
2hrs 15 minutes remaining! Exciting isn’t it!
Will there be jelly & ice cream?
Will the BBC show a live clip of big Ben chiming in the end of the painful withdrawal from the EU?

I doubt it.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
The Grauniad opinion section of their website is full of wailing and gnashing of teeth. A joy to behold, other than the one voice of sanity, which must be a first for the Grauniad:

Larry Elliott
Many in the UK, especially on the left, are in despair that this moment has arrived. For them, this can never be the journey to somewhere better: instead it is the equivalent of the last helicopter leaving the roof of the US embassy in Saigon in 1975.

The lefties who voted for Brexit see it differently. For them (us, actually, because I am one of them), the vote to leave was historically progressive. It marked the rejection of a status quo that was only delivering for the better off by those who demanded their voice was heard. Far from being a reactionary spasm, Brexit was democracy in action.

Is this man insane? Have the Guardian editors been replaced by androids?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Sadly, that was the image from the first post-brexit UK/Romanian honey execution draft agreement. It's taken a while to be agreed, so they now look like this:
View attachment 534691
It can't be much fun to be female and know you look like Roy Kinnear.

Ladies & Gentlemen (and those ******* who aren’t sure, aren’t able to decide or removed their genitalia in protest)
I give you: The Last Day In The EU, a Brexit story!
Whether you voted for it, against it, wanted hard Brexit, soft Brexit or sign us up to the Euro, it’s happening, from 11pm this night we are leaving the Common Market, Maastricht Treaty, Economic Union and flying solo, for better or worse, independence here we come.
So get it over with, post your thoughts, your winges, tick n moans or just wish us luck, get it out ya system and let’s move on!
Sadly, this runs and runs...what was promised couldn't be delivered and what has been delivered isn't quite what it's being sold as. I do applaud the efforts of the negotiating team mind, who did well. When people start whining like feck they should remember what a bollixed hand they had to play.

UKMis Brussels is only going to grow, it'll be 50% Trade and Law I reckon.
We need to retain the all the threads for referencing in four, five, ten or more years when we are a - more - successful and - more - wealthy sovereign state and the EU is collapsing. We will need those to mercilessly mock the remainers and to point out, in tedious detail, the error of their ways.

Oh yes indeed, when whatever happens does happen, we should revisit and see who was shouting the odds.

pc flaps

War Hero
The Grauniad opinion section of their website is full of wailing and gnashing of teeth. A joy to behold, other than the one voice of sanity, which must be a first for the Grauniad:

Larry Elliott
Many in the UK, especially on the left, are in despair that this moment has arrived. For them, this can never be the journey to somewhere better: instead it is the equivalent of the last helicopter leaving the roof of the US embassy in Saigon in 1975.

The lefties who voted for Brexit see it differently. For them (us, actually, because I am one of them), the vote to leave was historically progressive. It marked the rejection of a status quo that was only delivering for the better off by those who demanded their voice was heard. Far from being a reactionary spasm, Brexit was democracy in action.

Is this man insane? Have the Guardian editors been replaced by androids?
A Guardianista comment (from the only Brexit article to allow comments):

"The whole country has become run by UKIP. Both parties pander to the kipper vote. As comprehensive a rout has never yet been achieved by a minority of racists until today."

To which my only reply can be
"hahaha! You lost!!"

Sadly, this runs and runs...what was promised couldn't be delivered and what has been delivered isn't quite what it's being sold as.
1. Reclaim Sovereignty, British people deciding British policy and law - tick
2. Reclaim British judicial system - tick
3. Remove trade barriers and bureaucracy, enabling free trade with the rest of the World (and Europe if possible) - tick
4. Introduce a fair and just immigration policy with a points system allowing the correct workers to come here and work, a system that prevents criminals to enter, removes those that offend and prevents economic migrants - tick
5. Avoid an unfair tax system that rewards the work shy and ensures those that contribute the least gain the most, and avoid a system that allows MEP’s to skim, defraud and cheat - tick

endure

GCM
Will the BBC show a live clip of big Ben chiming in the end of the painful withdrawal from the EU?

I doubt it.
Painful withdrawal? How does that work? A painful entrance I can understand (so I've been told) but how can whipping it out be more painful than shoving it in?

Asking for a friend obvs...

1. Reclaim Sovereignty, British people deciding British policy and law - tick
2. Reclaim British judicial system - tick
3. Remove trade barriers and bureaucracy, enabling free trade with the rest of the World (and Europe if possible) - tick
4. Introduce a fair and just immigration policy with a points system allowing the correct workers to come here and work, a system that prevents criminals to enter, removes those that offend and prevents economic migrants - tick
5. Avoid an unfair tax system that rewards the work shy and ensures those that contribute the least gain the most, and avoid a system that allows MEP’s to skim, defraud and cheat - tick
Makes as many lists as you want. Gravity.

You'll be holding the current gov to account over contracts awarded without bidding then?

endure

GCM
So that's Nigel out the door then :rofl:

Fat POM

Old-Salt
Exactly why we are better off out than in, as this self serving prick proves time and time again!

apologies for it being a Daily Wail source but needs must

Next French presidential election is May 2022.
Hopefully the French will see sense and boot him out!

Latest Threads