The last battle on British soil?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Sep 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of my neighbours was just telling me about this.Seems that some "Irish soldiers" were billeted in Kent somewhere when a Kraut bomber got shot down and crash landed.The soldiers went to the crash site where they were shot at by the Krauts.They returned fire and it ended with them all going to the pub.
    I've googled but not much info to go on.Anyone know about this,or even if it's true?
    Ta.

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

3. Thanks Ravers.

4. Didn't the US Navy invade Whitby or somewhere up North during the Revolutionary war?

5. Think you may be referring to the raid on Whitehaven on the west coast during the American War of Independence .
    I believe the American Navy still performs some form of token annual event , with about 20 men , on the appropriate date .

6. It was featured on an episode of coast on BBC2. I think they turned up, set fire to a couple of ships at anchor then scuttled off sharpish.

7. That is where I must have seen it .... and further on The Coast programme it was lashing down with rain and the American participants did seem keen to depart ... again .

8. I'm not sure that a coupla kraut fly-boys in an exchange of fire with the LDV quite constitutes a 'battle' - it doesn't even match the scale of the Siege Of Sidney Street. Likewise the Spam sailors arson attack.

My money would be on the last battle on British Soil having been fought during the coup/Dutch invasion of 1688* that we have learned to either ignore, or to refer to - unintentionally euphemistically - as The Glorious Revolution. There was serious battle in Scotland (emphatically a part of Great Britain, by anybody's standards), and in Ireland (part of the UK but not quite part of Great Britain), and a clash of two Armies in England - but I haven't yet been able to identify where or when, or with what outcome, (which makes the conspiracy theorist in me sit up and wonder how that has been so well suppressed).

Interesting little article here:
    History in the making: The Glorious Revolution of 1688-91 was really a Dutch invasion; this distortion of the facts reflects our narrow view of Britain's past, argues Jonathan Israel - Life & Style - The Independent
    ===========
    * The Revolution that put paid to the House of Windsor being able to argue 'Divine Right' as the basis for their continuing incumbency in their role as the UK's Royle Family :wink:

9. Culloden 1745?

10. Good point, well made - but no foreigners involved (as long as you're prepared to accept that Porridgewogs had been 'British' in law, for nearly 40yrs, whether they liked it or not), so by deduction, it wasn't quite what the Doktor ordered for this thread.

(But then neither was King Billy's sudden and forced arrival, I suspect, so WTF :-D )

11. What about the failed German invason at Shingle Street in Suffolk?

12. I give up - what about it? I'm all ears :-D

13. I have heard a little of this alleged incident.

Small article from Wiki (2nd Paragraph)>> Shingle Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Possibly an urban myth but something odd definitely happened there during WW2.

14. Shingle Street is a stretch of beach near Woodbridge in Suffolk.

During the early part of the war when the invasion threat was at it's highest, there were reports and rumours of many burned German bodies and equipment being found washed up along the shoreline.
    The bodies and equipment were supposedly German Army and not Navy which led people to believe that it couldn't of been the remains from a stricken German Navy vessel.
    The popular belief in the area was that a large German raidng party/invasion force was secretly beaten back and the incident hushed up by the government to avoid panic.

15. I would have imagined that it may have involved the Scots during the second Jacobite rebellion. Culloden (1746) is a fair example as is the little referenced battle of Ruthven Barracks (1746). Some 13 English soldiers were attacked by 200 highlanders. The upshot of which was the repulsion of the highlanders by the tiny English garrison. Later the garrison was taken and the English were released to make their way back to England on foot. Culloden occured and resulted in the complete defeat of the Jacobites. Only it didn't, because after Culloden Lord George Murray led 1500 Jacobites back to Ruthven Barracks. They were joined by various fleeing Jacobites, who boosted the garrison to about 4-5000 starving highlanders. They may have been prepared to face "The Butcher" Cumberland, but Bonny Prince Charlie wasn't. He declared "Let every man seek his safety the best way he can" It would not be unfair to say that it was this betrayal by their leader which led to the final defeat of the Jacobites, rather than Culloden. Before leaving the Barracks, the Jacobites blew it up, to stop it falling back into English hands.