The last batman?

Who was the last batman? How did the system work? Does anyone still have a batman? Were they paid by the officer concerned as I was once told?

No, it was christian bale, once he had been released for the manhattan murders...he went off the rails when a wall st broker

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
As a serious answer, I don't know when the last official batman was retired. But a mate of mine was attatched to the Ghurkas in Hong Kong, he didn't have a batman, but a Ghurka did all his dhobi and polishing etc etc.

He reckons it was so the regt wouldn't be shown up by a badly turned out rupert.

Adam West was the real Batman, currently showing on freeview channel 24.

He certainly doesn't take himself too seriously;

Family Guy - Tinkle Fairy - YouTube

Z

Zarathustra

Officers have orderlies Sgt Majors have batmen.

I was an orderly for a while, my officer paid me just enough to cover boot polish and brasso.

I believe it's normally only officers over a certain rank or in certain appointments who are entitled to have an orderly.

The difference between an orderly and a batman is (how it was explained to me at least) an orderly is paid by his officer, a batman get's "favours" e.g. not doing duties etc.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Officers have orderlies Sgt Majors have batmen.

I was an orderly for a while, my officer paid me just enough to cover boot polish and brasso.

I believe it's normally only officers over a certain rank or in certain appointments who are entitled to have an orderly.

The difference between an orderly and a batman is (how it was explained to me at least) an orderly is paid by his officer, a batman get's "favours" e.g. not doing duties etc.
And all of the crime fighting is on top of this? Sounds like a busy day.

Another serious answer. As far as I know officers on public duties in London still have batmen, or orderlys to give them their official title. Also as far as I know senior generals such as the CGS also have them. I think, at least in the past, that the officer had to pay him a certain amount each week on top of his normal pay.
Hope this answers some of your question.

Here is a link about it. Batman (military) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW as far as I gather batman was originally an unofficial term with Orderly or Soldier-servant being the official title.