The Largest gun ever built

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by northern-matelot, Jul 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Didn't the Iraqis build a bigger one?
  2. Was going to say Forgemasters but beaten to it by cabana..........................bugger!

Kind regards,

R M
  3. I don't think the Iraqis finished theirs (bits were impounded at customs) so it probably doesn't count.
  4. If anyone is near Portsmouth the Royal Armouries up on Portsdown Hill is well worth a visit. They have Mallet's Mortar (Just the 36" calibre!) and a 14" battleship gun out the front and a couple of sections of the Iraqi Supergun - which is fairly impressive despite looking like it would split in 2 if you ever tried to use it!

Mallet's Mortar

I read somewhere that one of those German railway Guns (Gustav or Dora) destroyed a Soviet magazine that was buried in rock under about 20m of water, that's some penetration (fnar)

*Edit: This from wikipedia:

"White Cliff" aka "Ammunition Mountion": an undersea ammunition magazine in Severnaya ("Northern") Bay. The magazine was sited 30 meters under the sea with at least 10 meters of concrete protection. After nine shells were fired, the magazine was ruined and one of the boats in the bay sunk"
  5. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

It wasn't a gun supposedly. It was for launching Satellites into orbit.
  6. Would have been the German V3 wouldn't it?
  7. There's a chap called Peter Shaw in Sussex who has built a 1/6th scale Dora. It is HUGE!

Photos here.
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

how big were winnie and pooh just up from dover?

the supergun fella who did all those good things to the 155 howitzer had a test gun in the carribean. just watched a clip the other day i'll try to look it out.

one interesting thing is that the allied tried to recreate the big ww1 guns but the knowledge was lost.
  9. Thanks for the link. Attention to detail is amazing!!
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

11. It is but the German uniforms are wrong for that late in the war I think.
  12. Biggest guns i have ever seen are attached to my Torso!!
  13. "Kaiser Wilhelm Geschütz" (German howitzer used against the Liège forts in 1914)