The Largest gun ever built

R

rogermellie

Was going to say Forgemasters but beaten to it by cabana..........................bugger!

Kind regards,

R M

I don't think the Iraqis finished theirs (bits were impounded at customs) so it probably doesn't count.

If anyone is near Portsmouth the Royal Armouries up on Portsdown Hill is well worth a visit. They have Mallet's Mortar (Just the 36" calibre!) and a 14" battleship gun out the front and a couple of sections of the Iraqi Supergun - which is fairly impressive despite looking like it would split in 2 if you ever tried to use it!

Mallet's Mortar

I read somewhere that one of those German railway Guns (Gustav or Dora) destroyed a Soviet magazine that was buried in rock under about 20m of water, that's some penetration (fnar)

*Edit: This from wikipedia:

"White Cliff" aka "Ammunition Mountion": an undersea ammunition magazine in Severnaya ("Northern") Bay. The magazine was sited 30 meters under the sea with at least 10 meters of concrete protection. After nine shells were fired, the magazine was ruined and one of the boats in the bay sunk"

I don't think the Iraqis finished theirs (bits were impounded at customs) so it probably doesn't count.
It wasn't a gun supposedly. It was for launching Satellites into orbit.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
how big were winnie and pooh just up from dover?

the supergun fella who did all those good things to the 155 howitzer had a test gun in the carribean. just watched a clip the other day i'll try to look it out.

one interesting thing is that the allied tried to recreate the big ww1 guns but the knowledge was lost.

There's a chap called Peter Shaw in Sussex who has built a 1/6th scale Dora. It is HUGE!

Photos here.
Thanks for the link. Attention to detail is amazing!!

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
"Kaiser Wilhelm Geschütz" (German howitzer used against the Liège forts in 1914)

View attachment 48483

View attachment 48484
If that's a howitzer then I'm Queen Mary. Clearly you know zilch about artillery. The pic is a long range gun, the 'Paris Gun' IIRC correctly.

The howitzers used against the Liege Forts didn't need to be long range, hence had short fat barrels, they were also on mobile mountings.

The the big German piece used on the East Front, IIRC there is a chunk of barrel, a serious amount of steel, at the Warsaw militay museum. Makes the oversized baked bean tins of the socalled Iraq supergun (there's some at Firepower! as well) look like, well oversized bake bean tins.

If that's a howitzer then I'm Queen Mary. Clearly you know zilch about artillery. The pic is a long range gun, the 'Paris Gun' IIRC correctly.

The howitzers used against the Liege Forts didn't need to be long range, hence had short fat barrels, they were also on mobile mountings.

The the big German piece used on the East Front, IIRC there is a chunk of barrel, a serious amount of steel, at the Warsaw militay museum. Makes the oversized baked bean tins of the socalled Iraq supergun (there's some at Firepower! as well) look like, well oversized bake bean tins.
Believe the Germans were using Skoda-made 305mm heavy mortars and the famed 420mm Big Bertha for those jobs. And aye, that's the Paris gun AFAIK. Quite a piece of engineering; one wonders whether the barrel ever really "warmed up", given the RoF was about 4rd/hr.

Below is an 18.1in (460mm) common HE shell as fired by the Yamato and Musashi. Not nearly so big as Dora but still not summat I'd want to argue with, especially not if it had eight mates moving with it! Also found an online reference to an experimental 18.9in gun they were busy testing in the '20s - might be the largest naval gun ever built? Japanese 48 cm/45 (18.9") Type 5

46_cm_Shell_as_fired_by_the_battleship_Yamato.jpg

I've seen photos somewhere of a German (IIRC) contraption that had extra chambers branching off all along the length of the barrel so that the projectile could be continuously accelerated by firing them in sequence as it passed - **** knows if it worked or not. I'll see if I can find the pictures...

EDIT: It was the V3 which has already been mentioned. Strange looking thing - wonder how well it would've worked?

v3.jpg

140m barrel, 140kg shell, 165km range. ******* hell...