The lanyard of courage

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Track_Link, Oct 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been chatting with a Grunt I know, who gave it the old - you Scaley's are a bunch of mincers far from the front line.
    I informed said Grunt we have a history of being there in the middle of it all, and in fact our lanyard was awarded after our lads took command of some guns abandonded by the Drop Shorts in World War One.
    He laughed till he was blue in the face and said 'bollox did you'
    Am I right here - There's a Corps pride at stake and a night on the lash...

2. just looked on Wikipedia

Royal Signals on Wiki

"On the No 2 uniform the Royal Signals wear a dark blue lanyard signifying its early links with the Royal Engineers."

3. Oh bollox

4. is this the story of the artillary abondoning there guns and the re s manning them something about a yellow lanyard :?

5. First World War - 28 July 1914–11 November 1918.

'Corps of Signals' formed on 28th June 1920. Six weeks later, His Majesty the King conferred the title 'Royal Corps of Signals'.

So, no. The Corps had nothing to do with the event you're talking about.

6. I can't believe you never noticed sigs and sappers wear the same lanyard, but then, who remembers scalie officers wearing navy blue jumpers a la RN stylie!

7. The lanyard came from the Sappers, so why do the Sappers wear the Lanyard?

from http://www.remuseum.org.uk/rem_his_tradition.htm

From the all knowing source that is Wiki (couldn't find anything else)

I have always been told (from training) that the reason we wear a blue Lanyard is because the Engrs did.

Excepting 216, 264 and the yeomanrys obviously.

8. My learned Grunt friend is too thick to use the web, so I shall continue with this bluff

9. Just to put more info on here.

Fromthe RA Institute http://www.36regimentra.org.uk/id587.htm#origins_of_the_lanyard

And it seems our Antipodean cousins also tell the same stories at the expense fo the Royal Regiment!!!!!

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-army-today/arty.htm

10. Ok maybe not the corps but the Sqns and Regiments? My Sqn was formed as 1st West Riding Engineer Volunteer Corps formed in Sheffield on 8th Nov 1860

11. Nah. How many of our Corps paintings have us pointing shooty-sticks at baddies? However....Cpl Waters, Sig Smith and LCpl Jennings et al were awesome! Mind you, I suspect that it won't take long before we have a few 216 Herrick paintings to adorn the walls of messes everywhere.

12. Well my old Troop OC from basic has his painting all over the place with him pointing his shooty-stick at some nasty Argies, with his famed words of 'Contact Wait Out'
    And, I was quite surprised in 91 to note that you can actually see shells in flight as they whizz over your head before going bang on the baddies. So I reckon we're in the thick of it at times

13. The Engineers were awarded the Artillery lanyard as a battle honour after taking charge of a gun position abandoned by the Artillery.

The R Sigs were spawned from the REs, and therefore carried on wearing the lanyard. R Sigs were not awarded this battle honour in their own right.

Get your facts right, scaley nobber. Not sure how many battle honours your Corps has, but it's not as many as the REs so don't get carried away about your brave Corps for one minute!

14. Yeeees and as shown above and on loads of other posts on the same subject your explanation of the RE lanyard is bollards.
    So wind it in :wink:

15. Didn't we lead the first Iraq invasion with some Ptarmigan trunks?