The Landy discussion thread (merged)

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by TheIronDuke, Sep 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Motorcycles are all very well, and I am sure discussion of the GSP1102 vs the Gazpro Knacker v0111 are fascinating. But when real men who can drive come together, there is only one thing to talk about.

Its big. It stinks of diesel. It hasnt got brakes worth shit and dont start me on the heater. Or the air bag. Or DVD's in the headrests for the kids. It has a handbrake if one has remembered to chuck a brick into the back seat. Otherwise park it in gear on the flat. It makes clunking noises and doesnt exactly tear away from the lights. But give it 5 miles of muddy country roads and one can tear into almost anything on the planet.

Its not a Renault.

It is, by the grace of God and Queen Elizabeth 11, a Landy.

About time we had a Landy forum in the view of some of us?

2. It would only break down after 20 posts, or leak oil out of your computer........
  3. Don't forget the smell inside ahh the nostalgia, but that smell it's hot gear oil and it leaks from wherever gear oil is put in. You put more in and it comes out again. You replace gaskets and it comes out again. You change the diff's because they break and then you change the gearbox, re-condition the engine, then change the brakes, then the clutch, then the lights that soak in water. Then you get a whine and then the diff goes again, then a strange noise in the engine..........
  4. ...Then, just when you think you're the bestset -ever all terrain driver, it sinks in shite up to its door handles and you have to do the walk of shame (yellow handbag included) to find a friendly recy mech who'll keep schtumm about your lapse of judgement.....
  5. Surprised to hear the comment about the handbrake -- mine probably saved my life when my (ex-MOD) Rover got brake fade on a long descent with a digger on a trailer pushing me over-enthusiastically down the hill. Wheels locked up as soon as I applied the handbrake and I actually had to be careful not to overdo it! The more technically well-informed tell me that the L/R handbrake acts on the transmission, rather than the wheels. Is that so?
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

mmmmmmm - I've gone and put my name down for a 20 year-old 110 for £550 smackers next week. It needs love, it needs off-road tyres, and it needs painting green.

I think I've got wood.
  7. Yes it's a transmission brake and who knows with all the oil pissing out of the gearbox....
  8. I've got two Land Rovers. I find it helps to have a spare one for when the daily use one breaks down.
    I've been searching for a reliable alternative for years but nothing else is quite as capable.
    Surprisingly the Discovery TD5 is unstopable off road (until you smash a diff) and travels far further than the Series III FFR (Discovery on AT's and FFR on muds)
  9. Correct, there is a large drum brake that acts on the rear prop shaft. It's great when off road mittys tell you about this really awesome handbrake turn they did in their ex army 3/4 with red painted wheel nuts.
  10. TheIronDuke

Ah, Biped. I am touching myself. Down there. You know?

This dont mean we are engaged. Dont get ******* ideas.

Which 110? Tell me it hasnt got seats in the back? One would hate to fall out of love.
  11. Ah yes, the gearbox. No, actually it was the transfer box (I think ... I'm still on a steep learning curve here). Covered in aforementioned oil, of course, and got very hot going up the hill a couple of days before the handbrake incident (pulling the same trailer and digger). After a couple of km in low ratio I noticed a funny smell. On arriving near the top I noticed the reflected glow of flames off the hedge ... the box had got so hot it had ignited the oil. Basically, my arrse was on fire (not the first time, but let's not go there) and I was very, very glad that I'd replaced the "authentic" ex-MOD green extinguisher with an ugly civvie one that actually worked.
  12. I'm sick of my work one, it spends more time in workshops than on road!! :scratch:

13. TheIronDuke

Meh. If you are in low ratio pulling a digger, you want to be keeping it down to about 3k RPM for about 5 minutes. Then park up. And ring your cousin to buzz in with the JCB Fastrack.
  14. TheIronDuke

That is because you have purchased a tarts Boudoir. Does it come in Pink?

Go away. This is no place for the Renault Meguane.