The lack of bracing up and saluting

I have just joined the reserves and found that at my barracks next to no one braces up or salutes the officers or the SM only ever seen one sergeant brace up to a high ranking officer and that's it. Everyone calls them sir but that seems to be it.

I've finally got my uniform and Wednesday will be my first night on parade. I'm not sure on what to do I'm all up for showing respect to the rank what do you guys think?

Thanks
Adam

Last edited:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I have just joint the reserves and found that at my barracks next to know one braces up or salutes the officers or the SM only ever seen one sergeant brace up to a high ranking officer and that's it. Everyone calls them sir but that seems to be it.

I've finally got my uniform and Wednesday will be my first night on parade. I'm not sure on what to do I'm all up for showing respect to the rank what do you guys think?

Thanks
Adam
Grass them up to the CGS

Do what you know is right, even if no-one else is doing it. That's the definition of Integrity. If someone says 'We don't do that here, mate' reply 'I do'. Only stop when the CO, your OC or the RSM specifically tells you to.

Do what you know is right, even if no-one else is doing it. That's the definition of Integrity. If someone says 'We don't do that here, mate' reply 'I do'. Only stop when the CO, your OC or the RSM specifically tells you to.
This. It's an Officer's privilege to invite others to drop the formalities, on their head be it. Until told otherwise, it's on your head and you should play the game.

But does the OPs unit have its shirts tucked in or out?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Doubt it, it's easy to join the flock as we all know from experience, particularly as a sprog. We can only hope the OP possesses a spine!
Adam's 'joint' (sic) the Reserves, according to the opening post, so while it might be correct to show a bit of integrity, chances-are that his colleagues will provide a little coaching.

While devexwarrior and LilStill may be correct, I don't think the OP will be following their advice for long.
There's a nice quote in the RMAS booklet 'developing leaders'. Paraphrasing a bit, but it tells the story of a Rifleman OMLTeer.

He can't compel his ANA peers to do anything, but by sitting amongst them 'doing the right thing', they begin to emulate him. Ie cleaning their weapons during rests on patrol.

Bracing up and showing the correct compliments can also 'encourage' an occifer.

Reminds themwhat they are there to do.

As English does not appear to be the OP's first language, I would say that the protocols regarding compliments paid to officers are likely to be those of his own country's armed forces rather than those of our own.

Thing the first: if you've just joined, where do you know this protocol from? Is it the ACF? You are right, but if it is a youth club then please come up with a different reason just in case.

Thing the second: this also grips my proverbial, as does blokes mincing about camp with phones in hand while moving from A to B... Did I miss a rule change? Now phones are "smart" are we allowed them out while also being "smart" and soldierlike (God forbid we are uniform).