The Labour party is sorry about expenses. No, really......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Jun 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The SNP have got their stickies on the Labour Politburo approved letters to be sent out by Labour voteseekers. Of their own free will, of course.

Suggested letter to be sent by MPs

"Dear [Insert Name]

I thought twice about sending this letter because I know how rightly angry people are with MPs. I suspect that you are fed up to the back teeth as day after day more stories come out showing greed and, in some cases, serious wrongdoing. I would like to echo Gordon Brown’s words – that I’m sorry that the political system and some MPs have let you down."

Suggested letter for Labour’s local councillors

"Dear [Insert Name]

I know how angry people are with Westminster politicians. I suspect you are as fed up I am, as day after day more stories come out showing greed and in some cases, serious wrongdoing. I would like to echo Gordon Brown’s words – that I am sorry that the political system and some MPs have let you down."

Suggested letter for MEPS's

"Dear [Insert Name]

I know how angry people are with Westminster politicians. I suspect you are as fed up as I am as day after day more stories come out showing greed and in some cases, serious wrongdoing. I would like to echo Gordon Brown’s words – that I am sorry that the political system has let you down."

So that will make it all better then :roll:

As the SNP MP John Mason put it:

"This is despicable and cynical spin from the Labour party. These letters are designed to look heartfelt, but in fact they are insincere and miss the point of why the public are so angry.

"Labour is well known for its central office control freakery, but these letters really do underline how low Labour has sunk in their efforts to con the public."

2. The sad truth of the matter is that the only thing that Labour are worried about are themselves. They will spin anything to make thenselves look good or to get them out of whatever hole they are in. The sooner they are ejected from Government the better it will be for the whole Country.

3. The bit that gets me really angry about this whole mp expenses thing is that they are allowed to stay for the rest of their term. thus claiming the golden handshake for services to parliament or whatever bollax its called.

it gave a breakdown of the mp's who were not standing at the next election and the money that they would earn on the 10 o clock news on saturday night, nearly all of them were to get in excess of £50,000, some were nearer £100,000. these were the real wrong doers aswell in the expenses claim scandal.

so lets see if i get this right, rip the public off and then be allowed a nice golden handshake of say £70,000 as a thanks for it. GREAT. :x

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Gordon Brown will see us through this crisis, just as he is doing with the EU Referendum crisis, the financial crisis, and the 'smeargate' crisis.

Keep watching for the new 'Election Crisis' as it develops, shortly to be followed by the 'Criminal Court Cases Crisis', the 'Leadership Contest Crisis', the '40 Years in the Wilderness Crisis' and the 'Labour Party Bankruptcy Crisis', and last but not least the 'Phoenix Rising Bad-old-Labour-Party-is-back Crisis' some time in 2060.

5. [​IMG]

Of course they're sorry. Sorry they got caught.

6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Shows the labour Nanny State control freakery at its finest. MPs and Councillors have to be TOLD how to apologise. But what for - they of course have "..done nothing wrong.."

And to be honest to cares now what Gordon Brown says? he is a lame duck Prime Minister who wil go down in history as one of the worst (if not the worst) PM ever.

7. The most worrying thing about Brown is that he seems to have totally lost touch with the people and reality. And it has all happened so fast, it took Maggie and Blair years to get to this stage, but gordon gives the impression of being totally lacking in cobntrol, and not knowing which way to turn. Is this the man to lead us out of the recession.

8. No, I am NOT fed up with the confirmation, re-iterated day after day, of the misconduct and grubby self-serving behaviour of these self-righteous despicable creatures.

They may well be “fed up as I am as day after day more stories come out showing greed and in some cases, serious wrongdoing”. It is suggested that their discomfort at being found out, is of little consolation to the rest of us.

Has anyone yet suggested they discontinue the now discredited “courtesy” references to “Honourable” and “Right Honourable” . . . . . ??

9. It should be something like:

"Dear [Insert Name]

I thought twice about sending this letter because I know how rightly angry people are with MPs and I wish to be seen doing something that is going to get me re-elected and curry favour with those who can be bothered to read this rubbish. I would like to echo Gordon Brown’s words – by blaming everyone else and then when I get caught firstly try the "It's within the rules" excuse and then when that doesn't work, grovel and apologise like the Apparatchik that I am in the vain hope I will keep my seat at the next election and stay on the, albeit, smaller gravy train. Also, that I’m sorry that the political system Blah Blah Blah!"

Suggested letter for Labour’s local councillors

"Dear [Insert Name]

I know how angry people are with Westminster politicians. I suspect you are as fed up I am only being a crappy councillor and jealous that I haven't got the nonce to get elected onto the gravy train, sorry I mean, to serve the electorate. As day after day more stories come out showing greed and in some cases, serious wrongdoing. I would like to echo Gordon Brown’s words – that all wrong-doers should be automatically sacked and a free and fair constituency panel sit to find a respectable Prospective Parliamentary candidate exactly like me to fill the void. I am sorry that the political system and your MP has let you down Blah Blah Blah"

Suggested letter for MEPS's

"Dear [Insert Name]

I know how angry people are with Westminster politicians. I suspect you are as fed up as I am as day after day more stories come out showing greed and in some cases, serious wrongdoing. I wouldn't like to echo Gordon Brown’s words as he doesn't control the EU and the chances of anyone allowing our eye-watering greed and corruption to be made public is having a laugh! Also, you haven't a clue who I am and they'll be so much appathy at the next European elections I'm bound to retain my seat and continue the luxurious lifestyle that I'm accustomed to. I am sorry that the political system has let you down, but hey! it's domestic, not EU. so who cares."

10. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Now Now

The PM on Andrew Marr stressed many times that he had pleaded with the parliament to change its ways. On numerous occasions he has said the political system needs a full scale overhaul and that MP’s allowances are unjust and not necessary. His presbyterian upbringing makes him ashamed to be a politician. (ever thought of quitting.

He has already (all by himself) made radical changes to the expenses system and instructed Kelly (no first name) to pull his finger out and adopt all of HIS suggestions.

As a he is a new boy give him a chance. I’m sure the PM will get things sorted – he hasn’t been in power long you know, these are all things those nasty Tories set in place – give Labour a chance.

This will have to do for now – Ashie away busy on the letter front.

11. But does it always just happen to be a horse & stable scenario?
    The Parliament Fees office have been rubber stamping this blatent fraud for years and the MP's were happy to play the system, including somewhere, our incumbant PM I bet. When it all gets found out they then rally around saying there should be change.
    What's the old saying?

If it's not leaked to the press don't fix it?

12. So let me get this straight; Gordon the Gormless had been at the front end of the UK's finances and paraded himself as "da man" finance-wise since 1997, but his famed "prudence" and "financial awareness" didn't extend to MPs' expenses in all that time? And then he continues to maintain that he's the right (or only) person with the *cough* experience to lead the UK out of its present crisis? There's something wrong with that, somewhere. Or is it just me?

MsG

13. Sorry, folks. Double-tap again.

MsG

14. The only thing they are sorry about is.........................getting found out.

15. This just in: Kim Jong Il is offering political asylum to MPs..