The Labour disaster of Glasgow East - the end of Cyclops?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by in_the_cheapseats, Jul 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

And SNP win by 365 votes. BBC linky

For those that don't understand Scottish politics, this is a landmark result.

For Labour to lose a 13000+ majority, in a ward where 10 years ago you would be lynched for wearing anything other than Labour colours and regarded as the 3rd safest Labour seat in the country, is extraordinary.

Sh1t, this is Glasgow! Everyone is expected to vote Labour there. The only serious debate is whether you wear blue or green :D

Labour are in a flat spin N of the border for the first time in several generations and the effect on its national ambitions are huge. If they can't win Scotland, they can't win the UK.

Even more telling GB was not used or mentioned in the Labour campaign as he was seen as such a liability. My read is he is now so discredited that he shouldn't survive to the end of the year. However the longer he remains in office the happier both the Consevatives and the SNP will be.

A 26% swing - wow. People don't like Labour anymore. Yahoo :D
  2. About bloody time!!!!

No sectarian divide on this "bye" election - even traditonally hard working labour and catholic majority east end wants rid of cyclops and liarbour :D
  3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Bye Gordy! :D

It was sh1t knowing you!
  4. Cyclops is Protestant so they would clearly want rid. Also massive Republican area so I am very surprised they voted for Mr Mason!!!!
  5. Yes that's what made me laugh too!!!

Just shows how bad Labour are doing doesn't it :D

It'll get sang off as "who's the fenian in the black" or "a mason got Gord the sack"

6. Labour have held that seat for 90 years (give or take). I think you can safely say GB is in deep poo!!!

Shame!!! :lol:
  7. I have just voted 'NO' to the lying Scotsman having to resign, so I had better explain myself. The last thing we need is for him to be replaced by some charismatic Svengali like Blair who manages to convince a naive and gullible electorate to give 'New' Labour one more chance at the next General Election. No, we need to keep the mendacious monocular in charge - believe me, the pain of his final year's meltdown will be worth it in the long run.

If I credited him with any strategic vision at all, I would allege that his infiltration of the 'New' Labour project, his (eventual) rise to the top, his placement of other Scots into key positions, the constant denial of an English Parliament, was all part of a grand SNP master plan. They hadn't got a hope in hell of getting a majority even in Scotland, because too many people who could be expected to vote SNP were stuck in the rut of voting Labour. Gordon is placed as a 'sleeper', he presents himself as being 'against' an independent Scotland and moulds 'New' Labour's thinking into the current half-arrsed 'devolved powers' arrangement. Then, once he secures the top job, he sets about making 'New' Labour completely unelectable, thereby letting the SNP in across Scotland, leading to an inevitable referendum on independence. If, as a by-product, he manages to f*ck over the whole of England, then that is just a bonus from his point of view.

Once independent, expect the 'surprise' election of Gordon Brown as the President of 'New' Scotland as a reward for his service to the nation.
  8. On the other hand, perhaps he's just an incompetent tosser.
  9. Shitt 5th was it that obvious??

We've been rumbled lads!!! Plan B - Go!!!

Plan B - devolved unity parliament with mercia, devon, dorset, cornwall, wales.... nah forget wales..... northumbria!! Aye, they'll do....

10. No-one can possibly be that incompetent by accident.
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I would agree. If there is a swing away from liarbour like that everywhere at the next election they will cease to be of any relevance. Happened in Canada.
  12. I'd like to see Brown continue as PM until the General Election. Makes defeat a certainty.

Prudence, sustained growth, you've never had it so good, wibble....
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Couldn't agree more. For a guarantee of electoral success, he needs to stay in the job. (not his or Labliar's obviously).
  14. I suspect that everyone who voted 'no' to Cyclops' resignation did so with pretty much the logic set out above. In addition, who would replace him? 14 years of 'The Project' seems to have removed anyone who could have been a threat to Brown or Blair - with the end result that once those two are past their sell-by dates, oblivion beckoned.

Happy days are almost here again.
  15. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Theres the pain of clearing up the mess this lot will leave behind first though. Remember how bad the early eighties were trying to sort it all out last time. 2010/11 is going to be a rough ride.