the korean war ended this month

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by rockape560, Jul 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the korea war ended on the 27/7/1953

to mark the 60th annisversary from today there are parades,exbitions etc in all areas up to and including the 27th

britain still had conscription at this time and many who fought were conscripts

the battle of the imjin river was one,if not the bloodist, battles fought.we should remember all the fallen

Britains Bloodiest Post-WWII Battle: Imjin River - YouTube

2. Surely, "the ceasefire began" rather than "the war ended"?

• Like Like x 3
  3. My thoughts too.

4. for some the "war ended" and for others the "cease fire" began..depends on your view i suppose

5. For the Koreans, the war is still very much on so I'd tend to go with that view. It's their war, after all.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Or you could just be historically accurate, and accept that the war is still (technically) on-going.

• Like Like x 1
  7. what ever your view you cant deny what happened on the imjin river was one of the bloodist battles fought by the british army post ww11

• Like Like x 1
  8. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Always a good way to wind an ulster rifleman up just mention the glorious glosters.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  9. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1845135334/?tag=armrumser-21 recently read this. Beforehand id never really given much thought to the war. I didn't really understand what those men went through. But now I really think their story should play a greater part in the country s' collective military conscience. Some hard hard men in that brigade. Total respect to all involved.

10. 8 queens royal irish hussars would have taken offence to,but we always forget the belgians

11. HHH

HHH LE

12. very true would have expected more from the bbc

13. To Big Bill VC, Busty DCM, Big Geordie DCM, John Pender MM, Pat Devenny MM., John Common MM., Wee Geordie Grant BEM., Colonel Tadman DSO, Major Philip Harrison DSO, Major Robertson-McLeod DSO MC., Lt Purvis DSO., and all the other Borderers who fought so valiantly in that far off land - especially those who didn't return - you're not forgotten.

During their 16 month tour in Korea 1/KOSB were awarded 1 VC, 5 DSOs, 5 MCs, 4 DCMs (now known as the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross), 12 MMs (now known as the MC), 24 MiDs, 1 BEM.

66 KIA, 2 DoW, 227 WIA, 44 Missing.

XXV

• Like Like x 2