The Kingdom of the Anglo-Saxons (The Wars of King Alfred 865-899) by Paul Hill

ARRSE Rating
5.00 star(s)
91hzzj7WOBL.jpg

The Kingdom of the Anglo-Saxons (The Wars of King Alfred 865-899) by Paul Hill.

An indepth look at how England came into being.

A great (no pun intended) read about a great King and how he brought together the splintered lands of our county to create a new Kingdom of the Anglo-Saxons.
Alfred's struggles against the people and family who betrayed him and those who supported him.
Of epic battles lost and those won even against the odds, and how warfare changed with the coming of the Danes.

Alfreds greatest struggle/challenge was keeping his own bloodline in charge as there were other branches of the family who also claimed the right to rule.

There's lots and lots of extra snippits of information in side notes that help and inform the reader as well as numerous pictures and diagrams which help with the visual aspect.

It's quite heavy going at times as there is so much information to take in and so much going on politically and internally with regard to family trees.
Again not my usual branch of history but still an enjoyable read.

If you are interested in Alfred or Royal history in general then this book is well worth getting hold of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I am reading "The Last Kingdom" series by Bernard Cornwall and this nearly jigsaw into the book you describe. Very interesting and informative review, @Kirkz , thanks for bringing it to our attention. Does the book mention Alfred's extreme piety and his problems with what is probably the first recorded mention of a person suffering with Bowel Cancer?
For all Alfred's "Greatness", he was not averse to chucking a few shillings at the Danes to prevent them infiltrating into Wessex. As a war leader, he doesn't come across that brilliant, but as a politician he was excellent. His problems as a military commander were conjoined with his piety. He chose senior priest as his main advisors, rather than proven warriors.

Kirkz

LE
Book Reviewer
I am reading "The Last Kingdom" series by Bernard Cornwall and this nearly jigsaw into the book you describe. Very interesting and informative review, @Kirkz , thanks for bringing it to our attention. Does the book mention Alfred's extreme piety and his problems with what is probably the first recorded mention of a person suffering with Bowel Cancer?
For all Alfred's "Greatness", he was not averse to chucking a few shillings at the Danes to prevent them infiltrating into Wessex. As a war leader, he doesn't come across that brilliant, but as a politician he was excellent. His problems as a military commander were conjoined with his piety. He chose senior priest as his main advisors, rather than proven warriors.
Yes it does and as you say choosing priests instead of warriors perhaps wasn't his greatest move.
I don't think bowel cancer would help anyone, inparticular someone under the stresses Alfred was