The Kaiser's Zeppelin Raids

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by seaweed, Aug 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Tuesday night there was a Ch4 programme about the German Zeppelin raids on England and how they were (eventually) dealt with:

Missing from this programme was the fact that Germans started deliberately bombing civilians from the air only three weeks after the war started, with a Zeppelin raid on Antwerp on 25th August 1914.

Also missing was the fact that the first Zepp to be destroyed by us was downed by the Royal Navy in 1915, on 6th. Flight Sub Lieutenant Warneford RNAS had a go at it with his machine gun but this did no useful damage. So he stalked his target for two hours, slowly climbing to 13,000 feet in his rickety, primitive aeroplane until he could drop bombs on the airship from above. He was awarded the Victoria Cross for this exploit.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. hotel_california

hotel_california LE Book Reviewer

Brompton Cemetery, London
  3. When we bought our flat in Wandsworth in '98, our downstairs neighbour was Flos, then age 90, who had lived in our flat or hers for all but 10 years of her life. She could remember seeing the Zeppelins over Wandsworth/Fulham as a child - it was an amazing thought given that Concorde flew overhead most nights.
  4. Even earlier it seems.
  5. I watched that program last night (I'd recorded it). I thought it was very interesting, especially in relation to how we had to overcome the problems in igniting the hydrogen.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Tony Edwards the man with the smle firing the Buckingham rounds gave this lecture to the HBSA last year I seem to recall. Tony is a top chap lectures well without seeming full of himself and also has written several very good pamphlets
  7. The first Royal Naval Air Service raids against Zeppelin Sheds apparently took place between September and December 1914.

On 13 January 1915, four German Navy Zeppelins were launched from their base in Belgium to attack targets in Great Britain, but were forced to turn back because of bad weather.

A second raid by the German Luftflotten (Navy Airships) Zeppelins L3 and L4 took place on 19 January 1915, targetting the Humber Estuary as the Kaiser had forbidden raids against London (until February 1915). However, strong winds over Great Britain blew the Zeppelins towards the Norfolk coast where they dropped a total of 24 x 50 kilogramme High Explosive Bombs and an unknown number of ineffective, 3 kilogramme, incendiary bombs on the towns of Great Yarmouth, Sheringham and Kings Lynn which killed 4 persons and injured 16 others.

with Reference to Sub-Lieutenant Reginald Alexander John (Rex) Warnerford, Royal Naval Air Service, flying a French built Morane-Saulnier Type L single engined monoplane, was on a bombing mission against Zeppelin sheds in Evere when, on the night of 6/7 June 1915, he met a returning German Army Zeppelin (LZ 37) near the coast at Ostend and decided to engage it with his Hotchkiss machine gun. However, he was driven off by the German Zeppelin's superior firepower. He then followed the Airship for two hours whilst climbing to a height of 10000 feet (the Zeppelin could always out-climb allied fighters). When the Zeppelin began to descend towards Brussels, Warnerford attacked from above and dropped six bombs onto its canopy. The resulting explosion completely destroyed the Zeppelin and almost destroyed Warneford's aircraft as well. For this action, he was awarded the VC and French Legion d'Honneur.

Attached Files:

8. The Battlefields Trust plans to record interpret and present the story of the air war over the UK in WW1. This is a big task given that there were 100+ raids. We are pitching for HLF funding to employ a couple of professional archaeologists and historians to support our volunteers. Besides the history and archaeology we think the ideal mobile display to educate Londoners might be a replica SP 20pdr 3" AA gun with the option to poop off a few rounds......

If you would like to help in any way contact us. We will accept any fragments of your time you can spare. You do not need to be a professional. More details here. The Battlefields Trust - The First Blitz Project Contact Harvey or Chris if you want to help.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I found the program far too short, no mention of Pomeroy or Buckingham just Brock!
  10. Slightly off topic but was it not the Buckingham round that Col Sterling and his mob used quite successfully against desert airfields in WW2?

I am sure I have seen/read somewhere that they were very good at destroying parked aircraft and accounted for more on the ground than in the air.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Memory tricks they covered it but a lecture on anti zep weapons could cover an hour easily, Tony edwards has a series of publications covering this era!