The Junior Officers Reading Club Book of the week on R4

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by BuggerAll, Jun 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The Junior Officers' Reading Club: Killing Time and Fighting Wars. by Patrick Hennessey Is R4's book of the week. I just caught the end of it. I'd not heard of it before but either I'll listen to it or buy the book depending on the reviews that this post generates.

2. There was an excellent review in the Sunday Times yesterday. Looks well worth a read.

3. msr

msr LE

4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm sold - Only question is do I wait for it to come out in paperback? (Cheaper and I actually prefer them from the point of view of reading - like to read in bed and hardbacks are not good for that)

5. rasselas

rasselas Swinger Book Reviewer

6. Just listened to it, very good and will get it in paperback.

7. Both funny and poignant... something i think will run throughout.

8. Picked it up this weekend at Waterstones - it was on offer.

I read it in one session - its a brilliant book, extremely well written and is an excellent window on British Army Operations post 9/11 from a Junior Officer's point of view.

It should be on the reading list of everyone who aspires to Sandhurst.

9. To-days episode was about Sandhurst. Full Schedule for those who want to listen

10. It's actually a small-format hardback, so sits very nicely in the hand. Bloody attractive little volume, actually.

11. Thanks Fozzy, that's me signed up for a copy... :wink:

12. Just finished reading Hennessy's chapter on the first term of Sandhurst. As a wannabe myself, I found it ******* terrifying! It hasn't put me off, but it's probably given me a better idea of what to expect than anything I've read and everyone I've spoken to.

13. I’m about two thirds of the way through it, and I have to agree that it is a fantastic book. Its quite different in style to most of the other books out there on the subject, dealing far more with his personal impressions then with detail, but its probably all the better for that. It’s a great read and very accessible, I’d highly recommend it.

14. Got a copy last week. Aint finished Armored Farmer yet so will read it after thats finished. Looks good tho