The jump to Apple

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Porridge_gun, Jul 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Have jumped from Windows to Apple, the windows 8 just made me lose my rag. I've struggled with it to the point of nearly weeping.

Anyway, I've jumped to Apple, so far so good, wish I'd done it earlier.

Are there any tips other Macbook users could hurl at me?
    • Like Like x 6
  2. If you have multiple devices (and you probably soon will), check the icloud settings are the same on all of them. And use IMAP not POP for your email.

If you're using Pages, Numbers etc (costs coppers compared to Office and works better), don't leave gaps in the filenames, the 'share by email' function doesn't like it. Fill gaps with underscores.

Oh and if you want to learn Pages etc, get a months free subscription to and all the instructions are there with videos and that.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Make sure you take out the warranty with it. I bought an iMac several years ago and to date have had three h/drives, one optical drive and one lcd unit replaced. All within the three year warranty so at no cost to me. I asked about renewing warranty and was advised that Apple do not renew cover for units over three years old and would only repair units up to five years old at the owners expense.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Advice? Yes, hurl your Apple. They are the work of the devil (although admittedly I haven't tried Windows 8 yet), but if something goes wrong with Windows you always have a fair chance of tinkering with it and fixing it. You don't with Apple.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Don't take it to Starbucks, you'll look like a prick.
    • Like Like x 9
  6. Porridge_gun

Joe, I'm not a tinkerer mate, I end up ******* it up worse than it ever was. Lesson learnt.

Mattb, just by going to starbucks you look a penis, whether you take a Mac or borrow Bernie Cliftons ostrich.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. That is a good point!
  8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Yes ditch the pink cover it makes you look like a girl.
  9. I was gifted an iPad which went against my previous opinion of the users of such devices. I am pleased to say I really like it, although I now wear very trendy clothes, have designer spectacles and guzzle Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappaccino coffees at an alarming rate, wearing brightly coloured socks and loafers.
  10. And find other men attractive.
  11. Porridge_gun

I've always been a staunch blackberry user, but I'm using phone based browser more and more often and thats where BBerry is lacking.

The new q10 has taken all the best parts of Blackberry and binned them and swapped them with the shittest parts of every other phone manufacturer.

I've opted to get an Iphone5, Ipad and Mac and gone all clouded up, got Office for mac and jumped ship. So far so good, other than the telephone part of the Iphone is pants, its a shame there isnt a bberry phone app for iphone.

With the mac am slowly getting used to how it works, awesome to have windows open instantly and the machine switch on so quickly. Everything seems much crisper and sharper and the mouse is awesome.
  12. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

The basic rule is that Apple products are for suave, handsome winners; Windows is for whining, ginger masturbators.

So, all sorted then.
    • Like Like x 6
  13. You're on Windows then, I take it. ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Porridge_gun

I masturbate alot too, but I am a handsome suave winner.

i've just got some new shiney shiney that I've only explored 10% of

15. pah I disagree.

My macbook doesn't go wrong. ever. (Gulp)

I like to know that when I open my macbook or iPad in front of a client, I will be able to get what I want up and running every time, instead of having to 'tinker'. I think it creates a far more professional image.

Anyway must go, my lentil soup is boiling over...