Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The judge "thought" they had been drinking.

1558003658650.png

Are they good with pork and gays?

I didn't eat pork when I was there, but have in other Muslim countries.

As to gayness; as with many things, it is done. As with so many things, it's never a problem until it becomes a problem.

It's Oman, not ar-Raqah.

Mind you, I suppose I had the obvious advantage of being able to talk my way out of any misunderstandings I got into.

Not knowing the circumstances, but may I suggest a more useful template to use to understand many of these things is

واسطة

Wasta - Wikipedia

Now "wasta" is a bit more nuanced than simple nepotism, but carries 'influence' connotations. Can I get something done simpler? I seek someone with wasta. Who can make a decision - who has the wasta to make the decision. I get on the wrong side of someone, have they the wasta to mena the normal "blind eyes" are not turned but the rule book gets brought out.

We have our own ways of doing this, just like other cultures.

Mind you, I suppose I had the obvious advantage of being able to talk my way out of any misunderstandings I got into.

Everywhere I went where there was the possibility of 'cultural misunderstandings' I had the advantage of a rifle and/or pistol with many people as back up.
I also had the cunning plan of not messing in things I didn't need to be involved in.

Everywhere I went where there was the possibility of 'cultural misunderstandings' I had the advantage of a rifle and/or pistol with many people as back up.
I also had the cunning plan of not messing in things I didn't need to be involved in.

Combine that with a proper linguist and I submit you are in the sweet spot of the Venn diagram!

Well lets wait for The Daily Wail to launch "Save The Oman 2"
When its front page, photo of lassie looking soppy & women in cesspit cell the donations will roll in.
Until then lets wait for the FCO to do something

Worked there for a couple of years and found it a friendly, relaxed and welcoming country. No problems legally buying pork products and alcohol. It has in my opinion some of the most spectacular scenery in the M.E.

Definitely my favourite M.E. country and people.

Worked there for a couple of years and found it a friendly, relaxed and welcoming country. No problems legally buying pork products and alcohol. It has in my opinion some of the most spectacular scenery in the M.E.

Definitely my favourite M.E. country and people.
I was there on said serreea 2 the only places i found that sold pork or booze were the hotels. (which at night in the bars were mobbed by the locals)

I was there on said serreea 2 the only places i found that sold pork or booze were the hotels. (which at night in the bars were mobbed by the locals)

Supermarkets have an area for pork products that is separated usually with those plastic curtains you find in cold rooms, it isn't signposted out of respect for the locals. Booze is available for purchase but you have to get a licence, I worked for the air force and had to forgo the licence in the favour of the mess from whom I could get a carry-out. Could still use hotels.