The Joys of Speaking a Foreign language

Serpico

War Hero
My accent when speaking German confuses most native Germans/Swiss.
The Swiss mostly think I’m Dutch, and Germans hear the Swiss German rhythm and colour (I do NOT speak Schwiizerdütsch) but are aware that I’m not Swiss.
I guess that they don’t associate someone being able to pronounce “ch” properly with a native English speaker.

You're Scots aren't you pal? Always thought it was pretty much the same sound in Scots or German, Loch/Wach, our bastard tongues give us a wee headstart auf Deutsch

As an aside, wach has a W sound pronounced as a V, as per earlier in the thread

You're Scots aren't you pal? Always thought it was pretty much the same sound in Scots or German, Loch/Wach, our bastard tongues give us a wee headstart auf Deutsch

There are certainly similarities….. Licht for light. But here’s a little ..Loch is for Lake I.e lac, whereas Loch is for Hole, whereas the German is Meer as in Mere. There are undoubtedly crossovers.

964ST

War Hero
There are certainly similarities….. Licht for light. But here’s a little ..Loch is for Lake I.e lac, whereas Loch is for Hole, whereas the German is Meer as in Mere. There are undoubtedly crossovers.
I am Scottish and living in Germaland. I somehow do not sense your “Touchy Feely” Jockness getting away with it scenario!!

As described on many occasions “you sound like a drunk British person trying to speak Dutch”! Yep I should make more effort.

”Süüper Lecker!”

dlrg

LE
I am Scottish and living in Germaland. I somehow do not sense your “Touchy Feely” Jockness getting away with it scenario!!

As described on many occasions “you sound like a drunk British person trying to speak Dutch”! Yep I should make more effort.

”Süüper Lecker!”
Like you and @lastwalt, I often (well daily) get mistaken for a Niederländer even though I'm from Yorkshire. I take it as a compliment. Means I must be doing something nearly right!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Like you and @lastwalt, I often (well daily) get mistaken for a Niederländer even though I'm from Yorkshire. I take it as a compliment. Means I must be doing something nearly right!

I learnt my German at school in Yorkshire and then a year 'im Ruehrgebiet' before using it in East Germany. Most say I have a Berlin accent.

dlrg

LE
I learnt my German at school in Yorkshire and then a year 'im Ruehrgebiet' before using it in East Germany. Most say I have a Berlin accent.
Strange how it works out isn't it. Yorks - Ruhrpott - DDR = Berlin accent. I can only think that I've picked up my twang from Mrs dlrg (born in Pogum. A stones throw away from NL). Even though I live in, what is considered, an 'accent free region' (Hannoversche Gegend).

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Strange how it works out isn't it. Yorks - Ruhrpott - DDR = Berlin accent. I can only think that I've picked up my twang from Mrs dlrg (born in Pogum. A stones throw away from NL). Even though I live in, what is considered, an 'accent free region' (Hannoversche Gegend).

I've posted this earlier but my revelation was close to the NL border when I realised the locals were speaking in the same way as my Yorkshire grandparents, who had never been overseas (nor to London). The Berlin accent isn't that odd; I lived there for three years. Which part of Yorkshire do you hail from?

dlrg

LE
Dare I say Bradford/Skipton.

Yeah, from Paisley. I learnt my German in South West Germany and “refined” in Switzerland. ;)

The standard German “ch” in nicht, licht etc. is not quite the same sound as Scottish loch. It is pushed a bit more forward in the mouth, but for a jock it doesn’t take very long to master.
I had long since mastered it when I moved to Switzerland and discovered that the Swiss use an even more gutteral “ch” sound than we do, so reverting wasn’t difficult.

Serpico

War Hero
Yeah, from Paisley. I learnt my German in South West Germany and “refined” in Switzerland. ;)

The standard German “ch” in nicht, licht etc. is not quite the same sound as Scottish loch. It is pushed a bit more forward in the mouth, but for a jock it doesn’t take very long to master.
I had long since mastered it when I moved to Switzerland and discovered that the Swiss use an even more gutteral “ch” sound than we do, so reverting wasn’t difficult.

Bugsy walt ;) Haha, joking naturally, terrible thing to accuse someone of. Some nice parts of the world there sir, good effort. Now sitting here repeating "nicht, licht, loch" over and over haha, and you're right aye. Interesting stuff, cheers

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Bugsy walt ;) Haha, joking naturally, terrible thing to accuse someone of. Some nice parts of the world there sir, good effort. Now sitting here repeating "nicht, licht, loch" over and over haha, and you're right aye. Interesting stuff, cheers

One of my Russian tutors was a Bosnian Serb and heavily into phonetics. She used to do serious heavy drilling, the dear girl.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
One of my Russian tutors was a Bosnian Serb and heavily into phonetics. She used to do serious heavy drilling, the dear girl.
One of my original tutors at Beaconsfield was a Yugo Russian - child of White refugees, never lived in Russia, spoke very, very St Petersburg standard middle class pre-Revolutionary Russian. The ex-Soviet tutors thought it was hilarious, with their Moscow iotation and all. Sergei Dmitrich was the only Russian I've ever met who actually pronounced 'shch' as 'sh-t-shah', rather than a long and slushy 'sha'. His hard signs were a thing of beauty as well.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
My accent when speaking German confuses most native Germans/Swiss.
The Swiss mostly think I’m Dutch, and Germans hear the Swiss German rhythm and colour (I do NOT speak Schwiizerdütsch) but are aware that I’m not Swiss.
I guess that they don’t associate someone being able to pronounce “ch” properly with a native English speaker.
Just tell them you hail from Piz Palü..

Despite my best efforts to learn foreign languages, I have failed miserably. My brain simply is not wired for the capability. I do, however, have the ability to sound as if I speak several, even if it's utter gibberish. I can also read French (and Deutsch to a degree) aloud with an almost flawless accent, despite not understanding a bloody word of it. The missus speaks French and German.

I have therefore adopted the Welsh approach: make shit up.

Oo la la. Mon dieu. Apres moi le fromage Rodders!

a bit like this skit by my namesake

Latest Threads