The Journal of Power Institutions in Post-Soviet Societies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Apr 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

The Journal of Power Institutions in Post-Soviet Societies (http://www.pipss.org).

Founded by a group of European researchers, convinced of the necessity for free access to and publication of knowledge, pipss.org is a semesterly online journal devoted to the armed forces and power institutions of post-Soviet societies.

Pipss.org is a multi-disciplinary journal, which addresses issues across a broad field of disciplines in human and social sciences. Its main objective is to study changes and their underlying mechanisms in post-Soviet republics, through the analysis of the institutions that remain most hidden from the public eye: armies and power institutions.

msr

2. Hi Msr!

First of all my apologies for poor English and great thanks for your priceless remark (it would be very kind of you to make such remarks further).

I dare to disagree with you. Really this source of information is not too valuable.

http://www.pipss.org/document286.html

"The Influence of Military Culture on Russian and Post-Soviet Societies"

What does Elisabeth Sieca-Kozlowski really know about it? I tell you more interesting story.

In 1956, my father, young leutenant was summoned to Moscow, to join KGB. His fellows (in garrison) organised frindly dinner. Glasses (200ml) were filled by vodka. But glass of my father was filled from "secret" bottle that contained 96% spirit (my father was unaware).

Toast was sounded - for military brotherhood (all should drink full glasses in this case).

My father recognised spirit immediately but ... for military brotherhood he drank full glass.

By the way, I'm sure that British military has the same traditions.

3. Sounds interesting...plenty o'Kompromat?

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Hey don't you worry about your English - sounds bloody good to me.

I do like the way that the Russian instantly steers the conversation onto alcahol :p As for Drinking vodka - used to work with a former Russian army Captain, guy could drink vodka like water. A whole bottle in about 90 minutes - still standing, still Lucid.

We too have such traditions :lol: Usually ends up with people swamping a such like. :p

5. I know I am not allowed in here, but isn't there a strange P in the website name????

IMHO?

6. Hi!

As for me personally, I never drunk more than 750 ml of vodka. I'm not typical Russian - almost sober, rarely I drink more than 400ml.

I knew one man in Siberian city of Nizhnevartovsk who drunk two bottles (1 bottle = 500ml) of vodka at once (he was very trained). By the way ethnically he was not Russian. He was Bashkir (Moslem people in central Russia).

For evening, for Russian

1 bottle is too much
    2 bottles is exactly what he needs.
    3 bottles not much.

7. msr

msr LE

Bog lyubit troitsu :wink:

msr

8. Yes God loves trinity (especially Holy Spirit).

9. err, 400ml is 8 doubles 8O is that your usual evening's tipple?

(that's equivalent in amount of alcohol to 7.3 440ml cans of 5% lager, assuming your vodka is 40%)

10. Famous Russian scientist Mendeleev (btw he invented periodical system of elements of Chemistry) made fundamental research in this area (what is right percentage of spirit in vodka). As true scientist he sacrifises own health to establish thruth. Mendeleev discovered that 40% is ideal perscentage.

There is a lot sorts of vodka. There is even Jewish vodka (approved by supereme rabbi of CIC). Most of them have 40%. Some sorts (Sibirskaya for example) have 42%. Anything that have less than 40% is not strictly speaking vodka.

Ideal dose (it's my opinion) is 250-350ml. Enough to stimulate appetite and good talk. If vodka is excellent ('Russian standart', 'Flagman') then 400-500ml are not too much.

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

You sound like one top guy and are going to fit in here perfectly....

Cheers...or Желаю всего хорошего.