The Joint Enterprise Law - good for dealing with Gangs?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by DarkNinja, Mar 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The mother of one of 3 the "boys" who kicked Gary Newlove to death is not happy that her angel was convicted by this law. "He was just standing and watching". She has been to Westminster today lobbying to get the law changed.

Do you think if you are there you are guilty?
  2. The joint enterprise law should be used more often.

If 10 chavs kick someone to death,all 10 should be executed for it.No excuses.

For robberies,ALL of a gang should be sentenced and have assets confiscated.

Don't want to get done for something you didn't do if you are in a gang?.Simple get out of that gang.Walk away.

Perhaps the oxygen thief mother in the article should be charged with not keeping control of her feral brat.
  3. No! She said he is a nice lad and didn't smoke dope like the bad police said. He was just standing next to the chod when he dealed out the killer blow. quote unqoute
  4. I think Britain should adopt the Singapore legal system and apply Singapore law to murder,the penalty? mandatory death.

Singapore law also mandates the death penalty for drug dealers.

Human rights should be for law-abiding people only,break the law,well you just chose to forfeit those rights and will be dealt with harshly.Simple as.
  5. So you're walking home from a night out and see a couple of scrotes kicking a lad on the ground. You disturb them and they leave and you start administering first aid. The Police turn up and nick you for being present at the scene and looking a bit 'gang like', where do you stand then? I mean you are covered in the victim's blood and forensics could link you to the scene in a heartbeat, and what do you mean you never met the other two asailants in your life?
  6. Spew - vomit - retch - and God help this sad and broken nation.
  7. I would assume the police have the intelligence to work out if you were administering first aid or kicking someone to death.If they haven't god help Britain.
  8. I'm a bit confused here. Isn't this joint enterprise law virtually the same as collective punishment? I thought that was verboten.

9. Err...

Maybe you start by telling them you were trying to help him? I think the fact that you were not trying to run away when plod turned up may also be a hint.
  10. No. From what I've read it assumes that if you were a law abiding citizen you would have acted to prevent the criminal activity taking place. Failing to prevent a crime after having, in any way, encourged or assisted the commissioning of a crime leaves you open. Withdrawing from taking part doesn't protect you if you fail to act and attempt to prevent the crime.

In simple times, encourging someone to attack another person and/or supplying a weapon for that attack could see you charged. Unless you acted to prevent the attack taking place. is a pretty good guide.

In terms of Gang Violence it's pretty much solid, from a Police viewpoint, that they can slap a charge in if you take part in any Gang activity that leads to a criminal Offence being committed.
  11. Cheers for that, Kit. That Wiki page was very helpful.

12. 'Joint Enterprise' is not a law in it's own right, it's shorthand for a legal principal and I have used it many times against, for example, those who keep lookout when a street robbery went down. You do need good investigators or a wealth of evidence, so it applies better to prepared traps than it does to reactive events where a hunt for witnesses becomes the main limiting factor.

No, you will not get busted for giving first aid, or anything else, and the evidence to prove that you and all the others set out to achieve the common but illegal goal has to be of the highest standard. In many respects, the evidence against the lesser players has to be greater than that against the main offenders: Man A threatens with a knife and steals from the victim, this is straightforward and you can either prove it or not. To prove Girl B and Men C and D set him up then kept watch is quite a challenge.

Defence generally offer a last-minute deal on the morning of proceedings, the main offenders plead quilty if the Crown will accept not guilty pleas from the rest of the crowd. This is attractive to the Crown because it saves the cost of a trial and frees up court space for more cases, but sometimes a hardball prosecutor will stick to his guns, on the basis the remaining gang members will continue to offend if not brough to justice.

All sounds idyllic, I know, but it does happen frequently across the UK.