The jap Soldier

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Aug 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I seem to remember reading a comment by John Masters in The Road Past Mandaley, that ALL jap soldiers where trained infantrymen and therefore serious oposition despite what was their employment.
    Dose anyone have knowledge on jap training ?
    The only book I have read on jap troops is 'Japanese Soldiers Talking' a collection of short indevidual tales, told by the troops in action.
  2. I know that a large amount of Jap training after 1936 was in China where the majority of Jap recruits had to bayonet at least a couple of Chinese Civilians (logs as they called them) as part of their training. Given the shite state of their other arms its quite likely that everyone was Infantry first.
  3. I think the 'logs' were actually the ones used by Unit 731, not the ones used for training. Not sure though.

But remember, the Japanese were the victims of western brutality in WWII :roll:

They were all expected to be warriors however. I've read a few times that the Waffen SS structure and doctrine was actually loosely based on the IJA.
  4. No that was their term for all Chinese.

And what unprovoked brutality that the Allies inflicted on them are you talking about?
  5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Chief Joseph:

"But remember, the Japanese were the victims of western brutality in WWII "

I'm VERY interested in seeing/hearing what you are talking about or refering to here as well.
  6. Actually, that was sarcastic commentary on the revisionist history that for so long has white-washed over Japan's brutal and barbaric crimes (hence the rolling eyes icon). My history book ommitted any references to unit 731, the Nanjing massacre (or anything that happened in China for that matter), the Baatan Death march, the Manilla Massacre.

When I visited China I saw with my own eyes the skeletons of the Nanjing massacre's victims

7. In defence of CJ, it's fair to say that Allied troops - especially after seeing the way Japanese troops behaved to prisoners and wounded - didn't actually go out of their way to take Japanese prisoners. I can recall a documentary which showed American Marines on their way to some Pacific battle getting briefed about exactly that. They were left in no doubt about not taking prisoners.
    And, old British soldiers I've spoken to also make it plain they couldn't, and didn't, trust Japanese prisoners. However, they all showed a reluctant respect for the Japanese soldiers fighting ability. I remember one telling me that, ''the only way to beat those b@stards was to keep killing them 'till there were none left''.
  8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Here are a couple of websites that have some info on the WW II Jap Army.
  9. From Wiki
    "commands from superior officers were equivalent to commands from the Emperor himself."
    " the War Minister was held accountable only to the Emperor himself, and not to the elected civilian government. "

Explains much about obedience to orders also the comment that the army was Infantry dominated.
    However any ideas as to why any jap unit could be expected to FIGHT.
    I always remember the 200,000 Brits at Singapore.
  10. its absurd to say that all the japs fighting in WW2 were infantry - who sailed the ships and flew the planes? :wink:
  11. Reaching for my trusty book case I find:

Williams, P and Wallace, D. (1989): Unit 731, The Japanese Army's Secret of Secrets, London, Hodder & Stoughton.

It is a very good account of this particularly evil unit and the crimes it committed against both Chinese civilains as well as Allied POWs in their biological warfare experiments, including live disections.

Prisoners used for drastic human experimentation were known as "marutas" which translates as logs (p: 36).
  12. Gahhhhh! Hoisted by my own petard!

Can I also add will everyone read to the bottom of the thread to avoid making un coq of the themselves.

13. Thanks CutLunch
  14. I can commend "The Knights of Bushido" by Lord Russell of Liverpool.