The Jamie Carragher incident - a parable of our times?

Other than one or two comments in football related threads, I’ve not seen this being discussed in any detail, so apologies if I’ve missed the thread!
In case you missed it, a mobile phone video was posted on line by a Manchester United fan, who spotted Jamie Carragher (Sky TV pundit and ex Liverpool player) alongside his car after the game, which Man Utd won 2-1. That result would have been the headline story in days of yore, but not in this age of social and 24 hour media.
The Man Utd fan began a ‘bit of banter’ with Carragher and by coincidence, began filming on his mobile phone - whilst driving!
The banter quickly turned sour and Carragher sent a big gob full of spit towards the other car, hitting the 14 year old daughter of the Man Utd fan, who was sitting in the passenger seat.
Cue social media indignation and almost instantaneous suspension (quite rightly) of Carragher by his employers at Sky TV.
There are so many factors to this story that I find depressing and typical of the country and world we now live in.
Everyone wants their moment in the spotlight it seems, even if it’s at the expense of their own daughters dignity.
Yes, Carragher was a tit, but so was the Man Utd fan, who just happened to be publicly committing a motoring offence - hopefully he will be receiving a summons in due course.
To top it all, Carragher has been condemned for his behaviour by those two bastions of all that is good in our Society - convicted criminals and ex footballers Vinnie Jones and Joey Barton.
It was mentioned on the news today that Social Media amplifies the nastiness prevalent in society today. Amen to that!
What a parable of our times!

Last edited:
What has not been shown is what happened prior to that spitting incident.

Was the bloke in the other car giving Carragher loads of verbal before the filming started? Not that I'm condoning Carraghers actions, but there's two sides to every story.

Other than one or two comments in football related threads, I’ve not seen this being discussed in any detail, so apologies if I’ve missed the thread!
In case you missed it, a mobile phone video was posted on line by a Manchester United fan, who spotted Jamie Carragher (Sky TV pundit and ex Liverpool player) alongside his car after the game, which Man Utd won 2-1. That result would have been the headline story in days of yore, but not in this age of social and 24 hour media.
The Man Utd fan began a ‘bit of banter’ with Carragher and by coincidence, began filming on his mobile phone - whilst driving!
The banter quickly turned sour and Carragher sent a big gob full of spit towards the other car, hitting the 14 year old daughter of the Man Utd fan, who was sitting in the passenger seat.
Cue social media indignation and almost instantaneous suspension (quite rightly) of Carragher by his employers at Sky TV.
There are so many factors to this story that I find depressing and typical of the country and world we now live in.
Everyone wants their moment in the spotlight it seems, even if it’s at the expense of their own daughters discomfort.
Yes, Carragher was a tit, but so was the Man Utd fan, who just happened to be publicly committing a motoring offence - hopefully he will be receiving a summons in due course.
To top it all, Carragher has been condemned for his behaviour by those two bastions of all that is good in our Society - convicted criminals and ex footballers Vinnie Jones and Joey Barton.
It was mentioned on the news today that Social Media amplifies the nastiness prevalent in society today. Amen to that!
Topped only by the oh so genuine contrition. Mind you, if politicians can "apologise" for monumental, dangerous and utterly crass actions, why shouldn't some git from Manchester/Liverpool/Birmingham/London, or wherever the insect is from, be taken just as seriously.

Everyone wants their moment in the spotlight it seems, even if it’s at the expense of their own daughters discomfort.

Spitting is fecking disgusting and IMHO the same as pi55ing on someone...he's a grown man FFS!

I'd have more respect if he had rammed the other other car off the road, dived out , grabbed the Dad by the lapels and said 'Now ooo's the cooont La? ...da's prorpah anger , da's is.......maybe he was upset about Doddy?

Pity ole Yosser weren't about

1520968699886.png

Last edited:
What has not been shown is what happened prior to that spitting incident.

Was the bloke in the other car giving Carragher loads of verbal before the filming started? .
Almost certainly, because he’d already confirmed he was a ****** by filming as he was driving and putting his own daughter in the firing line. No matter what the provocation, Carragher should have disengaged or ignored the tosser.

Fair enough, but if you’re a grown man spitting at people you are an ****hole.

Just another case of chav on chav drive by fleming.

yep, spitting is what children do. Disgusting thing to do.
Whatever happened to being a grown-up ignoring gobsh1tes?

I really hope the driver gets his well deserved 6 points and fine.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Carragher's immediate future should consist of apologies and embarrassment with pit and gallows for a repeat performance but it all got a bit righteous on Five Live and the torch and pitchfork mob wanted him dragged to the Hague with a Tyburn Jig thereafter.

Have to say though that anyone in the public eye needs to be a bit wiser and not snipe at 14 year-old girls with their grollies.

Spitting is dirty and disgusting.

Driving with your 14yr old daughter in your car and shouting stuff out of the window whilst filming is a bit more naughtier.

There was a big hoo-ha on This Morning about it. Some randoms were shouting about it, and Holly just sat there reading the auto-cue, which clearly said "Oh, I don't know, but I do like kittens".

@slipperman - I posted this yesterday, but it was obviously far too subtle. https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...eos-pictures-in-here-only.103186/post-8463718

A case of the shit spitting the fan.

(with acknowledgements to Brian Clough who coined the (very similar ) phrase)
Edited; come to think of it; it was Greavsie who made the remark about Clough

Last edited:
Footballer or not, wasn't this just a fairly minor instance of some chavs being chavs or am I missing something?
Thick Scouse twat loses it with equally thick Manc twat in road rage shocker!