Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The jab .... Have you had it and have you had any after effects ?

I’m not sure where you’re getting your history from but polio is very contagious and can be spread through human touch. It caused great fear in the community, which is why there was such great relief when the vaccine came out.

What is Polio?
I stand corrected. It was my understanding that it was only passed on through contact with fecal matter.
My point about the relative efficacy of the vaccines still stands.

2nd Pfizer dose due today. All very efficient, contacted by text 14 days ago, follow up text last week and a final reminder this morning. Previous attendance was very efficiently organised, hopefully today's will be too.

ETA: just had the 2nd dose. Fantastically well organized
Had mine at Watford Football Ground in the Corporate Hospitality section last Friday. Again, brilliantly organised with complimentary cup of tea and a piece of cake in the members' bar whilst I waited for anaphylaxis...which didn't happen. Arm sore that evening; that's it.

There seems to be a few systems in the country for getting your Jab.
In my area of Suffolk its all GP based. The GP phones you, want a jab tomorrow? Can you do 1015? The time can be negotiated.
You rock up to the medical centre 10 minutes before your appointment. If your are in a car, you drive to the checkpoint. We tick off you name, put an A4 laminated number under the windscreen wiper of you car and tell you to park up and wait in your car. We have 2 volunteers manning the checkpoint and 2 roving bods.

The surgery call us on the radio, next 4 patients please. We consult the list, to see who is next, locate the patients car by using the number we gave out when they entered. Tell them its their turn, remove the number, for reuse, direct the to them entrance door and off they go to get jabbed.
Patients who arrive on foot are directed to a covered waiting area, with chairs spaced out. We just wander over an let them know when its their turn.

The appointments are at 2 minute intervals, with a 10 minute break every hour.
Yesterday morning we were on the drag by no more than 10 minutes and yesterday afternoon we got ahead by 10 minutes. It all depends on how old the patients are and how quickly they can walk, take off and put on their coat etc.
The worst delay we had was 1 hr 40. Someone was diagnosed with covid after they had entered the surgery !
This is a medium sized village surgery, which also looks after the surrounding villages and does about 200- 300 jabs a day, 2-3 days a week as and when the vaccine is available.

I am not a medic, just one of the marshaling team leaders.

I'm surprised you bothered with the Polio vaccine to be honest. After all, the vast majority of people (>70%) of those infected with Polio have no symptoms whatsoever, and the principle method of transmission is through someone else's fecal matter ending up in your mouth.
No need for a Polio vaccination, just wash your hands.
I was a very young Kid, I'm now 71. I know people from my generation that had Polio, the ones that are still alive got it at the time I was given my dose. These same people say how the doctors they get to see today have no idea what Polio was about and are totally ignorant of its issues and affects, as it would seem are a lot of a younger generation. The reason it is not around now for the most part is because of the immunization programs that went on at that time, That and the lack of Experts.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. It was my understanding that it was only passed on through contact with fecal matter.
My point about the relative efficacy of the vaccines still stands.
You sound like Dr. Fauci ( an apt name I think) the so called expert that makes a point then moves on when proven wrong but still keeps the line to stay relevant.

Last edited:
I've signed up for the multi-vaccine trial i.e. 2nd dose different to first one.

Not guaranteed to get a place, but I reckon that the difference will provide additional protection.

Over 60 and a type 2 but don't have any allergies so willing to give it a go if selected.

You sound like Dr. Fauci the so called expert that makes a point then moves on when proven wrong but still keeps the line to stay relevant.
Are you now saying that I'm wrong about the relative efficacy of the vaccines?

I guess your point is that the authorities in your neck of the woods are asking you to continue wearing face coverings for no good reason. Well, the answer is simple. Vote them out.

Last edited:
Are you now saying that I'm wrong about the relative efficacy of the vaccines?

I guess you're point is that the authorities in your neck of the woods are asking you to continue wearing face coverings for no good reason. Well, the answer is simple. Vote them out.

I'm saying you didn't answer my question, you went off on your own bent about how easy it was to avoid Polio with out knowing what you were talking about. You are doing the same thing now distracting from what was said. If you had read my bit you would have noted that I was for the sensible solutions, I wear my mask, I carry 3 or 4 in my car and 1 in the top pocket of my shirt and wash them all on a regular basis.

I'm saying you didn't answer my question, you went off on your own bent about how easy it was to avoid Polio with out knowing what you were talking about. You are doing the same thing now distracting from what was said. If you had read my bit you would have noted that I was for the sensible solutions, I wear my mask, I carry 3 or 4 in my car and 1 in the top pocket of my shirt and wash them all on a regular basis.
The question you asked has been fully addressed by the health authorities and is quoted below. You asked it on here because you wanted to make some kind of implication beyond that. You're not really interested in the facts.

COVID-19 vaccines are effective at protecting you from getting sick. Based on what we know about COVID-19 vaccines, people who have been fully vaccinated can start to do some things that they had stopped doing because of the pandemic.

We’re still learning how vaccines will affect the spread of COVID-19. After you’ve been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, you should keep taking precautions—like wearing a mask, staying 6 feet apart from others, and avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated spaces—in public places until we know more.

These recommendations can help you make decisions about daily activities after you are fully vaccinated. They are not intended for healthcare settings.

The question you asked has been fully addressed by the health authorities and is quoted below. You asked it on here because you wanted to make some kind of implication beyond that. You're not really interested in the facts.

COVID-19 vaccines are effective at protecting you from getting sick. Based on what we know about COVID-19 vaccines, people who have been fully vaccinated can start to do some things that they had stopped doing because of the pandemic.

We’re still learning how vaccines will affect the spread of COVID-19. After you’ve been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, you should keep taking precautions—like wearing a mask, staying 6 feet apart from others, and avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated spaces—in public places until we know more.

These recommendations can help you make decisions about daily activities after you are fully vaccinated. They are not intended for healthcare settings.

You are still distracting from what was said, can we put this to bed?

I've signed up for the multi-vaccine trial i.e. 2nd dose different to first one.

Not guaranteed to get a place, but I reckon that the difference will provide additional protection.

Over 60 and a type 2 but don't have any allergies so willing to give it a go if selected.
I have as well.
#serviceguaranteescitizenship
#wouldyouliketoknowmore?

jack2.jpg

1st Pfizer jab done for me in Canada this past Monday. All well organized and less than an hour to complete. A receipt was given at the end with the 1st vaccine date and the date for the 2nd pre-booked written on it I also received a confirmation text before I reached the Exit door.

Wednesday evening now stiff arm yesterday but zero effects today and hoping this continues.

Wife still pissed off about an immigrant (me) getting a jab before her.