The Isle of Wight Regiment and Gaza

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by smoojalooge, Jun 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have always remembered a photo I saw in the British Legion in Cowes when i was younger living on the Isle of Wight.

It was a picture of the Isle of Wight Rifles shortly before they sailed to the middle east to fight the Turks. 700 of them were killed out at the battle of Gaza.

Although i can find some information on the IW Rifles (they were part of the Hampshire Regiment) and the battle of Gaza. I can't find anything on what happened to the in the battle and how they were wiped out.

Can anyone direct me to any sources on this.
  2. still under construction unfortunetly but i shall keep an eye it.

has anyone got anymore
  3. I grew up on the Island myself. I remember back in the 80s there was at least one booklet produced about the IWR, i'll have to take a shufti at it when i get home and see if there's much detail on the battle.
  4. I shall take a look at Volume 2 of the Regimental History of the Hampshire Regiment which covers the period of the Great War and see what I can find for you.
  5. 1/8th (Isles of white Rifles, 'Princess Beatrices') Battalion, Hampshire Regiment. 163rd Bde, 54th Division
    9.8.15 landed at Suvla bay, 3.12.15 left Gallipoli, Arrived in Alexandria 19.12.15, then in to Palestine finishing the war near Beirut.

A quick scan through shows them taking part in the second and third battles of Gaza.

Hope this helps
  6. Found a little bit about The Hampshire Regiment 1/8th (Isle of Wight Rifles, Princess Beatrice's) hopefully thumbing through this you may find something you are looking for.

Cheers 2CB
  7. i have recently e-mailed to imperial war museum although i have had no reply yet I'm led to believe there's a small mueseum at the needles dedicated to the regiments artillery days during WWII will try and contact them also
  8. There's 8 pages on the Rgt's time in Egypt and Palestine in the booklet i mentioned. PM me your E-mail address and i'll send over scans of the relevant pages.
  9. It looks like Cdo Gunner has beaten me to it.

Cdo are you referring to the booklet by D.J. Quigley?

If not I would be interested I be knowing your source.
  10. Yep, that's the one.
  11. for all those interested there is talk on the iow rifles on nov 7th 2005. At the Riverside Centre Newport Isle of Wight.

more info to follow