• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

The irony of the English language.

#6
Alsacien said:
PotYos said:
Alsacien said:
You would not need to ask if you were an ex-RTG.... :D
I was one of the jedi knights.
You dont need to ask questions, you know everything worth knowing already :wink:
Ahh you are indeed a wise one. You are Yoda to my impetuous Luke.

Perhaps, I can just say I created the post as a talking point for the less fortunate amongst us?
 
#7
ARMY_MAD said:
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia <phobia of long words, if you dont belive me look it up
Well this word should really put the sh1ts up you then

acetylseryltyrosylserylisoleucylthreonylserylprolylserylglutaminyl-
phenylalanylvalylphenylalanylleucylserylserylvalyltryptophylalanyl-
aspartylprolylisoleucylglutamylleucylleucylasparaginylvalylcysteinyl-
threonylserylserylleucylglycylasparaginylglutaminylphenylalanyl-
glutaminylthreonylglutaminylglutaminylalanylarginylthreonylthreonyl-
glutaminylvalylglutaminylglutaminylphenylalanylserylglutaminylvalyl-
tryptophyllysylprolylphenylalanylprolylglutaminylserylthreonylvalyl-
arginylphenylalanylprolylglycylaspartylvalyltyrosyllysylvalyltyrosyl-
arginyltyrosylasparaginylalanylvalylleucylaspartylprolylleucylisoleucyl-
threonylalanylleucylleucylglycylthreonylphenylalanylaspartylthreonyl-
arginylasparaginylarginylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylvalylglutamyl-
asparaginylglutaminylglutaminylserylprolylthreonylthreonylalanylglutamyl- threonylleucylaspartylalanylthreonylarginylarginylvalylaspartylaspartyl-
alanylthreonylvalylalanylisoleucylarginylserylalanylasparaginylisoleucyl-
asparaginylleucylvalylasparaginylglutamylleucylvalylarginylglycyl-
threonylglycylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylasparaginylthreonyl-
phenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglycylleucylvalyltryptophyl-
threonylserylalanylprolylalanylserine


This is a real word (look it up if you don't believe me) :)
 
#9
Steven said:
ARMY_MAD said:
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia <phobia of long words, if you dont belive me look it up
Well this word should really put the sh1ts up you then

acetylseryltyrosylserylisoleucylthreonylserylprolylserylglutaminyl-
phenylalanylvalylphenylalanylleucylserylserylvalyltryptophylalanyl-
aspartylprolylisoleucylglutamylleucylleucylasparaginylvalylcysteinyl-
threonylserylserylleucylglycylasparaginylglutaminylphenylalanyl-
glutaminylthreonylglutaminylglutaminylalanylarginylthreonylthreonyl-
glutaminylvalylglutaminylglutaminylphenylalanylserylglutaminylvalyl-
tryptophyllysylprolylphenylalanylprolylglutaminylserylthreonylvalyl-
arginylphenylalanylprolylglycylaspartylvalyltyrosyllysylvalyltyrosyl-
arginyltyrosylasparaginylalanylvalylleucylaspartylprolylleucylisoleucyl-
threonylalanylleucylleucylglycylthreonylphenylalanylaspartylthreonyl-
arginylasparaginylarginylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylvalylglutamyl-
asparaginylglutaminylglutaminylserylprolylthreonylthreonylalanylglutamyl- threonylleucylaspartylalanylthreonylarginylarginylvalylaspartylaspartyl-
alanylthreonylvalylalanylisoleucylarginylserylalanylasparaginylisoleucyl-
asparaginylleucylvalylasparaginylglutamylleucylvalylarginylglycyl-
threonylglycylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylasparaginylthreonyl-
phenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglycylleucylvalyltryptophyl-
threonylserylalanylprolylalanylserine


This is a real word (look it up if you don't believe me) :)

This is why the phrase 'you know, thingy....whadyamucallit' was invented. I mean for fcuks sake thats taking the pi$$..
 
#10
YOUR RIGHT!!
NO, MY LEFT!
For goodness sake. YOUR means "belonging to you", YOU'RE means "you are".
And while i'm on my hobbyhorse THEIR means "Belonging to them", THERE is as in "over there" and THEY'RE means "They are".
Sorry to be a pedant but this really grips my shit.
 
#11
My god wessex_warrior, and I thought I was the only spelling nazi.

Magniloquent - excellent word, makes you sound exactly what it means.
 

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#15
A word i like to try and drop into a conversation is 'Horologist', just for the looks i get. Although horology isn't a hobby i couldn't get into, as i wouldn't have the time.
 
#16
If anyone fancies a linguistic challenge how about this.

In a Latin exam James where John had had had had had had had had had had had the examiner's approval.

This can be punctuated to make perfect sense.

Good luck!
 
#17
Howler said:
If anyone fancies a linguistic challenge how about this.

In a Latin exam James where John had had had had had had had had had had had the examiner's approval.

This can be punctuated to make perfect sense.

Good luck!
James, where John had had "had", had had "had had". "Had had" had had the examiner's approval.

Not that it's very good English.
 
#18
Cap reverently doffed PB.
What is wrong with one of the most famous quotes of all time.

"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Grammatical error.
 
#19
Howler said:
Cap reverently doffed PB.
What is wrong with one of the most famous quotes of all time.
"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
Grammatical error.
Insert "a" before "man" ... and, no, there are three A's in the capital of Jordan :wink:
 
#20
Howler said:
Cap reverently doffed PB.
What is wrong with one of the most famous quotes of all time.

"One small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind."

Grammatical error.
May have been said, was planned for but not clear on the radio recording.
 

Latest Threads