The Irony of Pistorious

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Counter-Bluffer-Ops, Sep 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have been watching the story in SA, general consensus is that his stumps are longer than the Brazilians, hence Brazilians has potential for longer blades, however, shorter stumps means less overall stability, so hard to see any advantage.

What they all do is quite remarkable.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Yet another non-story from The Mail.

Not sure if you're attempting berate these athletes or not, but I wish I had the inclination to achieve half of what they have.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

One would assume that having no legs means no trousers and therefore less ironing.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. It is not just from the Mail (many other papers and media are covering it) it is from the comments made by Pistorious.

Try reading before posting, always helps.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Not attempting to 'berate' or otherwise. Fantastic achievement by all the athletes - a little more grace in defeat from Pistorious might better, however, have acknowledged the winner's fine achievement
  6. Some of these blade runners do seem to have rather long legs

7. You can't call it "ironing" on here. Expect your avatar to disappear shortly.
  8. Not been watching the Paralympics then? He virtually accused Oliviera of cheating by having longer blades therefore a longer stride, not withstanding Pistorious took 46 strides to the finishing line to 49 of Oliviera, so not sour grapes? For years, he's had the advantage over other paralympians with no qualms, but now the tech has improved and turned round and bit him on the arrse, he's not happy.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Now I know this is for disabled athletes and all but that American bloke is a bit nails. Can't be easy hopping on one of those blade things.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

A commentator this morning was making the point that this was about sponsorships that Pistorious has and losing will maybe affect them , so maybe it is not just about not picking up the gold medal!!!

Pistorious was out of order but given the pressures these guys are under it is not really unexpected. He at least has had the guts to apologise for losing the plot - although he did not apologise for the comments he actually made about the length of blades.
  11. Shame there was sour grapes from pistorious - took away from what was a great race (always like a non favorite coming through).

Love to see what the paralympics will be like in 20 odd years. The sport is getting popular, which hopefully correspondends to more funding, giving athletes better opportunities to concentrate on their sports and drive up the general conditioning levels (in a similar way as when union was profesionalised). This combined with further technological advances (particularly new composites for use in the blades) could see even more amazing performance levels achieved.
  12. Okay, I shall admit to not reading it and to having missed the last few days of the games.

Off to catch up on the news.
  13. So, basically saw a Mail headline and jumped on the outrage bus because it was a Mail headline? Tut tut
  14. Awww leave him alone, I mean think about his human rights, just because he's handicapped doesn't mean he has to be a nice bloke!