the iPhone 4 - lefties need not apply

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by maguire, Jun 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8761240.stm

'Apple has released official advice for iPhone 4 owners to overcome the problem of the device losing signal when held by the lower left corner.

Steve Jobs responded to a query about the problem from one owner by saying: "Just avoid holding it in that way."

The official advice is to "avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band".

Alternatively, said Apple, customers could buy a case to shield the antenna.

The problem is thought to be particularly acute for left-handed owners who naturally touch the phone in the sensitive area.'

hmm...

** awaits incoming from the Apple fanbois to tell us we're all wrong and the iPhone 4 is the greatest thing since the last greatest thing... **

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I do wan't one though :D

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, I'm wondering, seeing as how mobile phones cause brain tumours, wether I'd rather have a tumour in my jaw than my bonce.

Anyhow, the good lady is getting me one, so ner, ner, and stick it up your arrse!

4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

well, if you cant get a signal just when you pick it up, you'll deffo be knackered if you stick it up your arrse... :?

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

hmmm, hadn't thought of that. It will be like a heated seat on cold night though.

6. After listening to a few fanboys i think they all touch the phone in the sensitive area :D

7. Signals are required for talking - can't say I've ever seen anyone use an iPhone for talking so far...

8. I hear the RC priesthood also has a similar problem - perhaps Apple can supply a similar rubber wrap for them too?

dammit where's my hat? TAXI!!

9. Is there an app for that?

10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The new software has just caused my iPhone 3G to crash. Wibble. I'm away for 3 weeks on a course as of tomorrow morning... wibble...

11. There's four of them on my desk at work, so ner, ner, ner, arrived Friday, not for me though, I have to stick with a Satio.

12. I'm left handed and I would be getting one if I didn't have a 3G, which is a bit too recent to justify an upgrade.

It's not a massive drama to not cover the antenna with your hand.

The only thing that might put me off would be the ridiculous advertising with the 4.0 firmware, it will put adverts in paid for apps, and will use your GPS position to send you adverts relating to what shop you visit, which I imagine would be bloody annoying.

13. Phone does not do what it say's on the tin? Walt phone. Fire up the outrage bus etc.

14. I use a macbook and ipod touch and love them both, I'm quite an apple geek. Unfortunately I think the iphone and ipad and not the best of devices out there and are really just ripping the punters off, before long they will have a name and reputation as bad as microsofts.

15. Blimey, not again? Are you working for apple? Every time someone has the audacity to suggest that not every product is 100% perfect you crawl out of the woodwork with the old 'if you don't like it the product its not for you - shut up' crap!

You obviously don't favour constructive criticism