The Instrument of death

There’s an old literary quote, not sure where from though it sounds Wooster-ish;

‘The definition of a true gentleman is a chap who knows how to play a banjo but refuses to do so...’

According to Kipling (Rudyard, not the exceedingly good cake chap), the British Army used to take their banjos on Ops in the days before MP3players , Walkmans, etc..

. The Song of the Banjo by Rudyard Kipling | Poetry Foundation

I think this splendid tradition should be revived. I feel I was negligent in failing to pack banjos and ukuleles into comfort packages for those who served in Afghanistan or Iraq.
The tradition of a field banjo lives on:

SpiderFox

Swinger
Knock on his door and politely ask him to refrain from playing as it disturbs you.
Or
Knock on his door and politely tell him you enjoy his playing and would love to see the "instrument of death".

Then go all Pete Townsend with it.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
The tradition of a field banjo lives on:

That's not a "field banjo", that's afternoon tea with your Aunty Gert in a beach hut in Skegness.

Truxx

LE
According to Kipling (Rudyard, not the exceedingly good cake chap), the British Army used to take their banjos on Ops in the days before MP3players , Walkmans, etc..

I think this splendid tradition should be revived. I feel I was negligent in failing to pack banjos and ukuleles into comfort packages for those who served in Afghanistan or Iraq.
Not taking a banjo on ops is like not taking Italians on ops

You are just leaving noisy useless baggage behind.

A musical friend was given an ancient banjo by his finacee's parents*. A bit of research revealed that it was a model bought in large numbers by tommies heading for the trenches. A less appropriate instrument it is harder to imaging for all sorts of reasons.

* It was unclear what message they were trying to send with this unusual gift.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

Chef

LE
To quote George Formby "it's a uke".
Absolutely, in accordance with @Onetap's op requirements:

Absolutely, in accordance with @Onetap's op requirements:

We sent one guy a Pot Noodle Horn, which went down as well as might be expected.

Latest Threads