The (Insert nationality here) military hardware trolling thread. Comments are required with initial post or will be deleted

ugly

LE
Not sure why the PLAAF thread has been locked, as I was going to add my photos from last year's Paris Airshow 2017 of the CAIG Wing Loong II UCAV. The Wing Loong is one of a series of CAIG (Chengdu Aircraft Design Institute) MALE (Medium Altitude Long Endurance) UAV a.k.a the Chengdu Pterodactyl. Anyhow the WIng Loong II has just entered service with PLAAF (this month?)

Cheers

Where are you based?

ugly

LE
Not sure why the PLAAF thread has been locked
It delivered pic but nothing else, if you want to post pictures there are better places for it.
In fact I can set up a (Insert nationality here) troll thread for you and you and your troll mates can post away to your hearts content.
You will note (I doubt it) that those who usually post pics start with a preamble such as "I was at such and such airshow with work/kids/wife delete as appropriate and thought you may like to see some pictures. As that is no doubt beyond your remit I will do it for you!

ugly

LE
All of the dross goes in here

It is indeed the standard location for the SATCOM antenna, as shown by this MQ-9 and...

...MQ-4B Global Hawk.

Regards,
MM

Yokel

LE
Satcom antenna?
Yes - a large dish antenna and the bits and pieces to make it steerable.

Hay - wait a minute. Surely you are not suggesting the UAV/RPAS is expensive and technically complicated, needs maintenance like a manned aircraft, depends on high bandwidth satellite links, and is susceptible to weather effecting communications?

It is indeed the standard location for the SATCOM antenna, as shown by this MQ-9 and...

...MQ-4B Global Hawk.

Regards,
MM
Your local branch of Maplins clearly had a better product range than mine.

Don’t know about you chasps but this thread is now appearing on my iPad as “The (Insert nationality here) military hardware trolling thread. Comments are required with initial post or will be deleted”

ugly

LE
Don’t know about you chasps but this thread is now appearing on my iPad as “The (Insert nationality here) military hardware trolling thread. Comments are required with initial post or will be deleted”
Thats correct, its an attempt to shame (unlikely) the chinese and Russian trolls to actually put some comments up as opposed to blatant propaganda shots.

As Airbus Helicopters is pitching hard for their H135 to fill the US Navy Bell TH-57C Sea Ranger legacy RW trainer fleet, thus Airbus Helicopters is saying how the type is the 'Top Gun' (albeit preferred) for air forces/ army aviation and naval aviaiton world wide. (Laughingly or not I did think of Tom Cruise as he is type rated on Airbus Helicopters H125 -flying his own stunts in Mission Impossible in a H125)

H135 is “top gun” for military helicopter training around the globe

So off the top of my head, the Australian HATS, the Japan Maritime Self Defence Force, Swiss Air Force, German Heeresflieger Internazionale Hubscruberausbildungzentral - International Helo Trianing Academy/School, Spanish FAMET, Royal Jordanian Air Force, our goodselves with Ascent...etc

In other news, Ascent Rotary Wing element has achieved (combined both H135 and H145) 10,000 hours milestone

http://www.airbushelicopters.co.uk/...TS-achieves-milestone-of-10,000-hours_50.html

Only downside of using the H135 as a trainer, one cannot perform touchdown autorotations repritively otherwise it damages the airframe so its practised in the sims.

But also on the flip side, the newer H135 (p3/t3) Helionix avionics suite has a function where you are able act as in flight 'simulator' so I was told during the H135 brief at Paris Air Show last year.

Cheers

I’m not entirely sure the RN and RAF would agree with Airbus’ description...as for Ascent...:mad:

Regards,
MM

Not really an AIRBUS helicopter, it was developed by MBB from their Bo105

Last edited:
Eurocopter was formed in 91 of both the MBB and Aerospatiale...so admittedly development and first flight took place in Donauworth in 94 ( former MBB premises).

Thus rebranding of the whole EADS group 4 years back...thus its now all Airbus..

Cheers

Maple

LE
.....so a helicopter which is a re-tread of the old MBB 105 (firt flight 1967) is 'Top Gun' - any news on the comeback of the Westland Sycamore? Would you like to trial our "new" Bristol Belvedere?

MM,

You’re not suggesting Ascenting lol into chaos ?

As I said one drawback of the 135 as a trainer is you cannot do full touchdown auto rotations ..thus the folks at Buckeberg leased a handful of Bell 206B from local operator Motorflug to train students in the art of autorotations / EOLs etc..

Maple

Old saying I learnt when I started in this industry “more things change, the more they stay the same” lol and “ things have a habit to come back around.

Never know lol ☠️

Cheers

.....so a helicopter which is a re-tread of the old MBB 105 (firt flight 1967) is 'Top Gun' - any news on the comeback of the Westland Sycamore? Would you like to trial our "new" Bristol Belvedere?
Silly, we're just re-furbishing the Wasps.

Latest Threads