The Injured

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Shaithis, Nov 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why is the list of the injured never known? I can imagine for every one soldier killed there will always be at least 2 or 3 (or more) who are injured. Either seriously or not. The list of names is growing for the KIA and the public are seeing red. Would they be more aware of how bad it is if the list of those who were / are maimed, blinded, disabled etc was published too.

Most of the time they only hear of these people is when they get back to the U.K and get abused in the street by chavscum.

The KIA is very high, but you can bet the injured is a lot more than the general public are aware of.
  2. More than 2 or 3.....

3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Last sunday, I spoke to a very well placed SNCO Para regt . Who intimated that over a divison worth of casualties had come out of Afghanistan over the period that we have been in threatre, many of these will never return to duty.
  4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

My Bruv was at Brize and he reckoned it ran into thousands
    Obviously thats including all injured - Broken arms, legs etc
  5. The hospital in Selly Oak will know. It is where the answer to your questions lies. It just requires someone to go and unearth it. The ratios more like 1:5 but I am guessing - its high though.
  6. The figures are supposedly here, but they don't seem to add up.

265 seriously or v. seriously injured for 234 killed?
  7. Looks like somebody is cooking the books somewhere.

I can't believe that "so few" have been injured.

I doubt if Selly Oak would be forthcoming with that kind of information though.
  8. The term is, I believe "Life changing injuries"

The numbers are BAD
  9. Bumped into a mucker flying C130J the other week. He told me that on average a coach load's worth of injured are transported up to Selly Oak every WEEK........
  10. Why would they cook the books ?

Surely the MOD would be torn apart by the media if even the slightest hint of hiding casualty numbers were present.

There IS a reason for not - publishing - slash - advertising - casualty figures - and seeing as this is supposedly an Army website most of you should know why.
  11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Most of those will be in and out in a matter of hours though I should imagine
    Many will be back in theatre before the tour is finished
  12. The government sit on this type of data exactly so people don't see red. It is very hard to get a clear breakdown of injuries.
  13. 1. Why? Simple. Because casualties reflect badly on the Government.

2. Unlike deaths, when names are released, casualty figures would be easy to hide (I'm not saying it's happening, just that it would be easily done.)

3. Casualty figures are published, but if they weren't I can't see a good reason to withold them.
  14. It may not be the accurate and it might not account for just Afghanistan, but there are some 5000 war pension appeals every year. I dare say that that goes back for quite a few years worth of injuries though.