The Infantry Demonstration Battalion.

2SGBW

Swinger
Man wasn't he just - cannot remember his name...Blond hair, fit as fek, drove an MG sports car - beige in colour (only remember as I always wanted one)....we used to get beasted big time and always carrying GPMG and 84mm....he liked a fit Platoon.

wheel

LE
One of our lads Pte C nickname Twitch due to serious upper body spasms was posted there early eighties. No one fancied doing an NI tour with him.

Last edited:
I was 2 i/c A Company IDG from 80-82. As A Gurkha Officer, used to being in the Far East and the jungle, it was a real eye opener to be able to command Brit squaddies ......and APCs! I loved my time there. Just like any battalion there were bloody good blokes and some complete tossers - all ranks included. I think that in the early days regular battalions would send people they wanted to be rid of. My CO was Welsh Guards and a great man with vision. He took those "unwanted" men and sent them on any course they wanted to go on. The result was that when they returned to their regular units they were welcomed back with open arms and most went on to do really well. Another great thing about the place was that it introduced men to each other from different Regiments, with different traditions and ways of doing things. A Coy was Light Div, Para and POW Div and B Coy was Guards, Jocks and the rest of the heavy Infantry. The Guardsmen could not get over the the fact that "other units" didn't spend their whole time bulling boots and marching. The "Thinking Rifleman" concept initially went over their heads, however many put in transfer requests to the Light Division. I am proud that I served with them and I made some bloody good mates. John Hamilton (Green Howards and 22 SAS), who was killed in the Falklands, was my Adjutant.

I was 2 i/c A Company IDG from 80-82. As A Gurkha Officer, used to being in the Far East and the jungle, it was a real eye opener to be able to command Brit squaddies ......and APCs! I loved my time there. Just like any battalion there were bloody good blokes and some complete tossers - all ranks included. I think that in the early days regular battalions would send people they wanted to be rid of. My CO was Welsh Guards and a great man with vision. He took those "unwanted" men and sent them on any course they wanted to go on. The result was that when they returned to their regular units they were welcomed back with open arms and most went on to do really well. Another great thing about the place was that it introduced men to each other from different Regiments, with different traditions and ways of doing things. A Coy was Light Div, Para and POW Div and B Coy was Guards, Jocks and the rest of the heavy Infantry. The Guardsmen could not get over the the fact that "other units" didn't spend their whole time bulling boots and marching. The "Thinking Rifleman" concept initially went over their heads, however many put in transfer requests to the Light Division. I am proud that I served with them and I made some bloody good mates. John Hamilton (Green Howards and 22 SAS), who was killed in the Falklands, was my Adjutant.
Gosh a blast from the past. If you are the person I think you are I seriously approved of your black sweatshirt with 6 GR Mortars 'The Mortician' Death from the other side of the hill!
Didnt you then go onto do an Oman tour and then go Australian?
As a Pl Cmdr in B Coy, we never quite got over being commanded by an untidy chain smoking Jock Guard, and a foppish Coldstreamer!

Peter Houghton was a top officer and a real Gent!
Totally agree, even the police said that when he stopped and pulled into the hard shoulder after flooring his brother in laws Porsche and being blue lighted. That and the weapon debacle marked his career, but he went onto run a very nice antique shop in Warminster.

The very same! Was with 3 RAR before I came to IDB and then went on contract to the Sultan's Armed Forces - Northern Frontier Regiment. Tried civvie street for a while but didn't seem to fit in so ended up starting a company to provide decent work for Gurkha ex-servicemen. Moz in the civil war and then de-mining. Are you that big brawny Jock that came on trek to Nepal? Give me a clue?

The very same! Was with 3 RAR before I came to IDB and then went on contract to the Sultan's Armed Forces - Northern Frontier Regiment. Tried civvie street for a while but didn't seem to fit in so ended up starting a company to provide decent work for Gurkha ex-servicemen. Moz in the civil war and then de-mining. Are you that big brawny Jock that came on trek to Nepal? Give me a clue?
Not the big brawny Jock (M.G), he is now a respectful Reg Sec north of the Border. I was the RHF Lowlander replacement, seen at most Firepower Demos with my White Hackel in, up in the green hut next to Brian Smart as he commentated and I got the serials in place.
Wasn't J P-W OC A Coy, and didn' t two of your Pl Cmdrs go onto do impressive things - one as an Ambassador in a couple of sandy places and the other as a CO.

Last edited:
J P-W was my OC. Good bloke. The RGJ wallah went on to be an Ambassador and the other bloke commanded and also did some sneaky stuff. I don't think my input had any bearing on those young Subalterns though! Good days. I enjoyed my time there and actually think it was a lot of benefit to the boys. OC C Coy (Para) was in Oman with me in SAF and ended up in SSF!

J P-W was my OC. Good bloke. The RGJ wallah went on to be an Ambassador and the other bloke commanded and also did some sneaky stuff. I don't think my input had any bearing on those young Subalterns though! Good days. I enjoyed my time there and actually think it was a lot of benefit to the boys. OC C Coy (Para) was in Oman with me in SAF and ended up in SSF!
I do agree your contribution to their career advancement was very limited other than excessive laughter and hands on skills learnt in crisis management skills!
As far as I am aware these are the only details I have on the whereabouts of people you would remember!
OC C ended up a Head of Security in Bahrain of an Oil complex,
OC B (AP) went on eventually to become CO of the MCTC
2IC B (BS) went AAC and died of Cancer a couple of years ago
B Coy 5pl Cmdr a Mick (SD) was in the Oman with you I think as was a QRIH Troop Leader from the Demo Squadron
A/Adj (MA) married a farmer in Suffolk
Fus Murdock the weapon thief with any luck still in Barlinnie!

Any arrsers remember this screw up? It was supposedly formed to release another Inf Bn for NI instead of playing enemy for Sandhurst and other various School of Infantry departments for two years on Salisbury Plain. Believe it existed for about five years before the powers that be realised it had become a dumping ground for every useless twat in the Infantry. Had a silly badge as well.

They privatised, Its now called COEFOR.

Latest Threads