The Infantry Demonstration Battalion.

One of my more spectacular Court Martial appearances, as his defending officer I got him a soldier on rather than a dismissed the service my old Battalion 1 RHF never forgave me.
The fact the weapons nicked went into the UVF hands in Glasgow didn't go down well, but you're right we were totally taken apart by the SIB.
You must be more skilled than the solicitor Blackadder tried to hire

Pimpernel, my impression from working with 1 RHF in the early 80's you liked soldiers with "character" so what was the problem?
Yes you were our Armour in Task Force Foxtrot - happy days!
You're right we liked character/personality but Murdoch was in a class of his own, his skills were too advanced for us. He broke into a Coy armoury (aged 17), hid a shack hand full of weapons in the cookhouse under the suspended ceiling went and did his time at Colchester.
Hid an SLR of his section commander up a chimney whilst on exercise, went AWOl on a training area and god knows what else!
Even the RSM was concerned and Snowy was ex HLI (I think) so not a shrinking violet.

Yes you were our Armour in Task Force Foxtrot - happy days!
You're right we liked character/personality but Murdoch was in a class of his own, his skills were too advanced for us. He broke into a Coy armoury (aged 17), hid a shack hand full of weapons in the cookhouse under the suspended ceiling went and did his time at Colchester.
Hid an SLR of his section commander up a chimney whilst on exercise, went AWOl on a training area and god knows what else!
Even the RSM was concerned and Snowy was ex HLI (I think) so not a shrinking violet.
When you put it like that I suppose he sounds as if he was a bit more than just a "character".

You mention Snowy as RSM had he been an instructor at RMAS in the late 70's as I had an RHF CSgt as my Pl Sgt on Rowallan in 1978, he certainly was not a shrinking violet.

2SGBW

Swinger
I was attached to the Irish Guards Platoon at the top of the stairs. Murdoch had some balls to do what he did at a young age (18).

He was a bully though, I was forced to have a square go with him over a piece of bread in the jail.....he was encouraged by a sycophantic RP from the KOSB's ( Total Wank) who thought that Murdoch was the BOY....didn't quite end the way they both thought it would.

Murdoch was then put in 1 BW jail whilst waiting on SGT Paddy McClellan to come and pick him up to take him where he belonged.

2SGBW

Swinger
Yeah I know as I had to muck out his stables at the School of Inf on many occasions. He was shot in the stomach near Hounslow, I believe.

2SGBW

Swinger
Do you remember the name of the big Jock Guard RP who was running around Battersby Bowl threatening to commit suicide - think he was maybe from Dundee area?

When you put it like that I suppose he sounds as if he was a bit more than just a "character".

You mention Snowy as RSM had he been an instructor at RMAS in the late 70's as I had an RHF CSgt as my Pl Sgt on Rowallan in 1978, he certainly was not a shrinking violet.
Had to scratch my head a bit on that one. Snowy was WO1 Rouse and became RSM in 1979, and the CSgt I think you had (I was at RMAS till March 78 was I think S*a* who was ex Recce. Have to do the persec stuff before the security Capos carpet bomb me!
Snowy has gone to the great drill square in the skies!

I was attached to the Irish Guards Platoon at the top of the stairs. Murdoch had some balls to do what he did at a young age (18).

He was a bully though, I was forced to have a square go with him over a piece of bread in the jail.....he was encouraged by a sycophantic RP from the KOSB's ( Total ****) who thought that Murdoch was the BOY....didn't quite end the way they both thought it would.

Murdoch was then put in 1 BW jail whilst waiting on SGT Paddy McClellan to come and pick him up to take him where he belonged.
Out of curiosity were you a Jock Guard, with a name starting with V? If so I think I have your ugly mug on the Jock Platoon photo we had just before disbandment.
Murdock appeared at IDB before I arrived in Jan 1981, but as I was RHF I had the dubious honour of defending him.

2SGBW

Swinger
I was Black Watch down there, I arrived January 1981 from SID BOD awaiting the age for Germany. Then Scots Guards later 2nd battalion. Not me with a V - an M.

2SGBW

Swinger
Yeah one of the slowest ways to die I understand. The pistol was found some way away from the vehicle so he must have been a hell Bowler to launch it after putting a round in his gut.....think I would have plumped for a head shot if it was me....maybe he wanted to suffer, who knows - all a bit of an enigma.

2SGBW

Swinger
Quite a few of us Jocks were posted to the Irish Guards platoon with some good guys and also some really bad bully- boys like Bonner and crew.....be nice to meet them for a beer some time now we are men and not boys.

Had to scratch my head a bit on that one. Snowy was WO1 Rouse and became RSM in 1979, and the CSgt I think you had (I was at RMAS till March 78 was I think S*a* who was ex Recce. Have to do the persec stuff before the security Capos carpet bomb me!
Snowy has gone to the great drill square in the skies!
Got you indeed it was, the memories come flooding back of his kindness and concern for our welfare during that period of my life. Thanks for that as it has saved me from searching the attic for the course photo.

Do you remember the name of the big Jock Guard RP who was running around Battersby Bowl threatening to commit suicide - think he was maybe from Dundee area?
Yup, another of natures aristocrats!
Quite a few of us Jocks were posted to the Irish Guards platoon with some good guys and also some really bad bully- boys like Bonner and crew.....be nice to meet them for a beer some time now we are men and not boys.
Gosh those are names from the past (dug out B Coy photo from June 81) , Bonner, Montgomery, Milligan, Callaway and later on Milligan as Pl Sgt.

2SGBW

Swinger
Yeah Big Taz was our Platoon SGT a great big guy....who would have booted the bully-boys baws if he had know but we kept it sch-tum and dealt with them our own way.

Some great demos worked on down there, and great pubs...learned to drive on the Square from L/CPL John "Sinky" Sinclair - Scots Guards.

Yeah Big Taz was our Platoon SGT a great big guy....who would have booted the bully-boys baws if he had know but we kept it sch-tum and dealt with them our own way.

Some great demos worked on down there, and great pubs...learned to drive on the Square from L/CPL John "Sinky" Sinclair - Scots Guards.
You had a pretty impressive Pl Cmdr who certainly shook the Micks up when he arrived. Those squad-ed runs made us sweat just watching you!

Latest Threads