The Infantry Demonstration Battalion.

stoker150

Swinger
Lol I must say the silver 432 reminds me of one of that got a rather nice paint job . pre I think it was and a certain person was told to paint the inside of a wagon ie silver and ref oxide all was well till he reported task complete. Well everything was silver and red oxide the seats the turret the ceiling very thing. The wagon was on display for some time after

I came out of the Army in late October in 1977. Early in 1978, the Army wrote to me asking if I wanted to re-join and go to Warminster to the Infantry demonstration battalion. I declined.

I've never heard of it since until I read this thread. Interesting read on what I would have encountered if I'd accepted the offer.

I came out of the Army in late October in 1977. Early in 1978, the Army wrote to me asking if I wanted to re-join and go to Warminster to the Infantry demonstration battalion. I declined.

I've never heard of it since until I read this thread. Interesting read on what I would have encountered if I'd accepted the offer.
You would have been at home, A Company was made up of Green jackets and Light Infanteers. There were Green Mafia all over the place!

You would have been at home, A Company was made up of Green jackets and Light Infanteers. There were Green Mafia all over the place!
And the officers weren't muppets. Two went onto become Colonels one at Winchester, and one of the Platoon Commanders is an Ambassador

The co when I was there was staford
Yes remember him, he took no prisoners. His replacement was Colonel Peter Houghton Welsh Guards, a true gent and a real professional.
Sadly his Command was blighted but a certain Jock who cleaned out D coy's armoury. But there is a thread that covers that sorry period!

2SGBW

Swinger
The guy was SAT CM for screwing the QM stores. During this period he had the run of the jail making coffees for the Guard Commander and himself. He watched how the alarms were operated and knew the best time to carry out the theft.

He switched off the alarms and left via the boiler room roof.

SIB were all over the Battalion and every single person on the base was interviewed and had to provide signed statements of their whereabouts for 2 weeks before the act occurred.

He then did a similar theft at his Battalion in Germany (RHF). He then was on the run through Germany where he took refuge in the Black Watch camp at WERL.

He was spotted acting suspiciously and challenged - he ran off but was captured. He had over 300 rounds of belted 7.62 ammo which he tried to discard.

Never heard what happened to him after Barlinne Prison - his name was Murdoch.

2SGBW

Swinger
CSM Norman - I think was his name.....would beat the fuck out of anyone who went in front of him, Jocks, Corporals didn't matter to him; all punchbag material.

Smashed my head into his wall several times and asked me for a square go because I had been scrapping - he was a big fucker and quite fearsome .....ha ha good times.

The guy was SAT CM for screwing the QM stores. During this period he had the run of the jail making coffees for the Guard Commander and himself. He watched how the alarms were operated and knew the best time to carry out the theft.

He switched off the alarms and left via the boiler room roof.

SIB were all over the Battalion and every single person on the base was interviewed and had to provide signed statements of their whereabouts for 2 weeks before the act occurred.

He then did a similar theft at his Battalion in Germany (RHF). He then was on the run through Germany where he took refuge in the Black Watch camp at WERL.

He was spotted acting suspiciously and challenged - he ran off but was captured. He had over 300 rounds of belted 7.62 ammo which he tried to discard.

Never heard what happened to him after Barlinne Prison - his name was Murdoch.
One of my more spectacular Court Martial appearances, as his defending officer I got him a soldier on rather than a dismissed the service my old Battalion 1 RHF never forgave me.
The fact the weapons nicked went into the UVF hands in Glasgow didn't go down well, but you're right we were totally taken apart by the SIB.

CSM Norman - I think was his name.....would beat the **** out of anyone who went in front of him, Jocks, Corporals didn't matter to him; all punchbag material.

Smashed my head into his wall several times and asked me for a square go because I had been scrapping - he was a big ****** and quite fearsome .....ha ha good times.
Spiney Norman, gosh a blast from the past!
He did run a tight ship but had delusions of grandeur, he dressed better than most Guards Officers and rode horses. I heard he topped himself under curious circumstances in the late 90s - I think!

llech

LE
One of my more spectacular Court Martial appearances, as his defending officer I got him a soldier on rather than a dismissed the service my old Battalion 1 RHF never forgave me.
The fact the weapons nicked went into the UVF hands in Glasgow didn't go down well, but you're right we were totally taken apart by the SIB.
Christ you should've been commended for "getting away" with that.

CSM Norman - I think was his name.....would beat the **** out of anyone who went in front of him, Jocks, Corporals didn't matter to him; all punchbag material.

Smashed my head into his wall several times and asked me for a square go because I had been scrapping - he was a big ****** and quite fearsome .....ha ha good times.
Were you B Coy?

Latest Threads