The Infantry Demonstration Battalion.

Not difficult to see why he was posted there.

[Well done you, BTW :thumright:]

===========

Come to think of it, your CO had clearly made his appreciation, and made the same deduction I did: that every other 'front-line' CO would look at Warminster as a top place to ditch the garbage.

So well done to your CO, too!
In fairness there were a few wasters but the majority were good guys to work with. I had a"Platoon" of around 80 with all the
Bn's FV432, FSC and various other bits and pieces with the exception of Sp Coy who were at Netheravon. The vehicles were constantly in use on the Plain and the lads (including in, a big way, the Recy Mechs) worked their arses off keeping them on the road. No pretty, straight lines on the Bn square!
Some of the exercise required up to 95% availability and we always managed by fair means or foul ;-)
S of I was a very demanding customer who was always right!
The Rifle Companies, too, had a very demanding time of it but they enjoyed it as well.

Now There was a character!!
You're not wrong. You can see why the Gordons moved him sideways as he was undoubtedly a passenger at Bn level being far too overweight to pass a BFT or do any useful infantry occupation. G10 was probably the only place they could hide him but he deserved to get his 22 in because he had been a helluva soldier in his time and knew every trick in the book.

I remember him sitting in the Cpls Mess at Battlesbury Bcks singing schmalzty (but sometimes funny) Scottish songs like Ally Bally Ally Bally Bee or the Three Craws.

It was the volume of characters like him which helped make the posting in my opinion. The place was full of them, all moved sideways by their respective Bns. Some were absolute idiots but many were like Ken; coming up to 22 and kept on through that loyalty the army has to guys who are no longer useful. There was another one like him over at the School, a guy called Jackson from the Glosters, who (predictably) was called "Jacko". A great soldier in his time but well past his best by then. Full of great stories, a devil may care attitude and just putting in his time in the stores until that glorious day, which to be honest he didn't want to face.

A lot of those guys didn't want to leave the army because they couldn't face Civvy Street. Do you remember the Ranger c/sgt in the School who'd been in the army for 35 years and dropped dead of a heart attack one day? He'd been in G10 for so long there, nobody ever thought he would leave. We had our own passengers too - do you remember Bogey Stirling?

In fairness there were a few wasters but the majority were good guys to work with. I had a"Platoon" of around 80 with all the
Bn's FV432, FSC and various other bits and pieces with the exception of Sp Coy who were at Netheravon. The vehicles were constantly in use on the Plain and the lads (including in, a big way, the Recy Mechs) worked their arses off keeping them on the road. No pretty, straight lines on the Bn square!
Some of the exercise required up to 95% availability and we always managed by fair means or foul ;-)
S of I was a very demanding customer who was always right!
The Rifle Companies, too, had a very demanding time of it but they enjoyed it as well.
You must remember the moratorium then? If it wasn't welded down then it was pinched or cannibalised. How we kept going I'll never know. The FAMTO guys worked wonders. Our man was Jim Haveron, backed up at Tidworth by the legend that was Jim McLucas (who I'm still in touch with).

Last edited:

stoker150

Swinger
Aye that's him was my csm broke my wrist went to him with chity which he promptly shredded and said we are of on phantom bugle so get your self out of here fit for duty. It was winter and a bitter one to boot net result plaster dissolved repeat visit to mo who was not impressed and phoned up bones to make sure there was no repeat.

Aye that's him was my csm broke my wrist went to him with chity which he promptly shredded and said we are of on phantom bugle so get your self out of here fit for duty. It was winter and a bitter one to boot net result plaster dissolved repeat visit to mo who was not impressed and phoned up bones to make sure there was no repeat.
Pah! Good character-building stuff! =D

Goalie IDB

Swinger
It was a great posting. True, some of the troops sent from various Battalions were wasters, however, I worked with some fine soldiers. I was in B company, we had a Platoon of Irish Guards, a Platoon of Jock's from all Battalions in the Scottish division and a Platoon of English and Welsh. The banter was brilliant and the competition between platoons was fierce!!
Great days and happy memories.
How you doing boss?

Last edited:
It was a great posting. True, some of the troops sent from various Battalions were wasters, however, I worked with some fine soldiers. I was in B company, we had a Platoon of Irish Guards, a Platoon of Jock's from all Battalions in the Scottish division and a Platoon of English and Welsh. The banter was brilliant and the competition between platoons was fierce!!
Great days and happy memories.
How you doing boss?
Bloody right it was fierce!
All well this end. Now give me a steer, I took over 6 Pl B Company from a Gordon in 81, where were you in the Company, even a section would narrow it down.

Goalie IDB

Swinger
I thought you were the Gordon Highlander. I was dragged back from the posting early to play football for my Battalion ( 1st and SH ) Jan 1980.
Yes, I was in the jock Platoon, an Irish lad from my Battalion took over from me, he was a lance corporal.

I thought you were the Gordon Highlander. I was dragged back from the posting early to play football for my Battalion ( 1st and SH ) Jan 1980.
Yes, I was in the jock Platoon, an Irish lad from my Battalion took over from me, he was a lance corporal.
Got you. The Gordon is now back up North he became all adult although at his wedding in 1980 he managed to drop his wife breaking her arm, they spent a very romantic night in A&E!
So it was Dougie (!) Carroll who took over from you then?

Goalie IDB

Swinger
Got you. As I said, great posting, great memories, worked with some shit hot Soldiers and made some great mates.
CSM Wills was a bit of a lunatic though. Lol.

Latest Threads