The Infantry Demonstration Battalion.

Any arrsers remember this screw up? It was supposedly formed to release another Inf Bn for NI instead of playing enemy for Sandhurst and other various School of Infantry departments for two years on Salisbury Plain. Believe it existed for about five years before the powers that be realised it had become a dumping ground for every useless twat in the Infantry. Had a silly badge as well.

Any arrsers remember this screw up? It was supposedly formed to release another Inf Bn for NI instead of playing enemy for Sandhurst and other various School of Infantry departments for two years on Salisbury Plain. Believe it existed for about five years before the powers that be realised it had become a dumping ground for every useless twat in the Infantry. Had a silly badge as well.

White sword (Bayonet) on a Red Sheild IIRC?....had the luck of going nowhere near it.

Used to see them when I was at school in Warminster in the 80's. Were they a composite battalion formed for the purpose, or a regular battalion assigned to the role as a unit?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Yes I do.
I had the pleasure of commanding the Scottish Division Platoon from 81 to disbandment and It was most certainly not a screw up. IDB was a great place and produced some real stars, like all Bns it had some idiots in the early day more perhaps than others!
Why, because Bns dumped their dross, no surprise there but thankfully D Inf soon sorted that out. Patience however was a prerequisite as we had to deal with some real Twats across the road at the School of Insanity.
There are others on the site, so sleepers awake.

ACAB

LE
We were envious of them as they were the only Mech Inf Bn in the UK. (Tracks, not wheels)

It was a large composit unit, support coy had a complete 120 mil wombat platoon and a full Milan platoon plus mortars etc all based at Netheravon.

It was a large composit unit, support coy had a complete 120 mil wombat platoon and a full Milan platoon plus mortars etc all based at Netheravon.
I was MILAN PL and did various jumping out of 1 tonne landrovers with a firing post wrapped around my neck in an attempt to deter the foreign observers from starting anything untoward in Europe.

It was the first time I saw an A10 fly and fire. Ironically I think it's targets were old 432's.

I had a couple of mates from 2RGJ serve in Support Coy 79 to 81ish, they reckoned that the life was pretty cushy except they had a Guards CSM who, for some unknown reason did'nt like Greenjackets. Can't think why.

I had a couple of mates from 2RGJ serve in Support Coy 79 to 81ish, they reckoned that the life was pretty cushy except they had a Guards CSM who, for some unknown reason did'nt like Greenjackets. Can't think why.
That explains it!
IDB after the purges had an influx of GuardsMen from the CO downwards. The policy in the Bn was to try and preserve Divisional links and the tribal mixes. A Coy was RGJ/LI with some star characters one being a senior at RHQ for the Rifles and another an Ambassador in a sandy place, B Coy was commanded by a Jock Guardsman with a lunatic CSM (quite an infamous sniper from NI days) sadly passed on. And C Company was commanded by a Para.
There was certainly a friendly competitive spirit between the Thinking Mans soldier, and the slashed peaks!
As a Battalion that was constantly under the microscope at demonstrations, presentations and all the other PR bits, it was a very slick operation and most of my Jocks went onto bigger and better things. With the exception of one! He was the one who did over the HQ company armoury and was last heard of as a resident of the BarL in Glasgow. Google IDB weapons theft 1981, he was certainly a class act but sadly on the wrong side of the law.

That explains it!
IDB after the purges had an influx of GuardsMen from the CO downwards. The policy in the Bn was to try and preserve Divisional links and the tribal mixes. A Coy was RGJ/LI with some star characters one being a senior at RHQ for the Rifles and another an Ambassador in a sandy place, B Coy was commanded by a Jock Guardsman with a lunatic CSM (quite an infamous sniper from NI days) sadly passed on. And C Company was commanded by a Para.
There was certainly a friendly competitive spirit between the Thinking Mans soldier, and the slashed peaks!
As a Battalion that was constantly under the microscope at demonstrations, presentations and all the other PR bits, it was a very slick operation and most of my Jocks went onto bigger and better things. With the exception of one! He was the one who did over the HQ company armoury and was last heard of as a resident of the BarL in Glasgow. Google IDB weapons theft 1981, he was certainly a class act but sadly on the wrong side of the law.
Jeez.
A fair few memories. We had the RP who was IC keys during the theft. He was CMd and discharged. - had to be in on it.........
He was innocent.
This was found out several months later and he was asked if he'd like to come back. He told em to poke it. A bloody good lad.

The CSM returned to the Battalion in 1983. An "Interesting character" who formed the Sniper School when it opened.
He died under odd circumstances about a fortnight before the 7/7 London Bombings.

Jeez.
A fair few memories. We had the RP who was IC keys during the theft. He was CMd and discharged. - had to be in on it.........
He was innocent.
This was found out several months later and he was asked if he'd like to come back. He told em to poke it. A bloody good lad.

The CSM returned to the Battalion in 1983. An "Interesting character" who formed the Sniper School when it opened.
He died under odd circumstances about a fortnight before the 7/7 London Bombings.

The whole Bn was taken apart by the SIB after the theft (SLRs, Pistols and I think an SMG) the Ord Officer was given a bloody time and the Guard that night were taken apart. As a "Multi cultural Bn" with UVF, NF and a shed load of Micks the suspicion was all over the place. I feel for the RP as it was very unpleasant.
The fact it was a Junior Soldier who was SAT and subsequently sent to MCTC for being AWOL, who crept out while the guard was watching a footy match was a wee bit embarrassing. The Jock went onto spectacularly cause mayhem with 1 RHF and was then binned and sent to the BarL.
The CSM was as mad as a hatter, and not someone to fall out with. Did he go back to 1 CG?

They wore that badge as a shoulder flash. All other cap badges and uniform distinctions were kept as normal. I was in Warminster with the RAC Demo Sqn from 79-82 so I worked alongside these guys all the time. They were based in Battlesbury Bcks and accompanied us on exercises throughout each teaching cycle.

What can I say? Some good guys and some bad guys but in general I think a lot of units got rid of their Elvises into the IDB. The same thing happened to us. We were a regular squadron but because we had to be kept up to war time strength we got a few guys posted in from the main body of the regiment at Tidworth who were, shall we say, not quite up to the mark.

They wore that badge as a shoulder flash. All other cap badges and uniform distinctions were kept as normal. I was in Warminster with the RAC Demo Sqn from 79-82 so I worked alongside these guys all the time. They were based in Battlesbury Bcks and accompanied us on exercises throughout each teaching cycle.

What can I say? Some good guys and some bad guys but in general I think a lot of units got rid of their Elvises into the IDB. The same thing happened to us. We were a regular squadron but because we had to be kept up to war time strength we got a few guys posted in from the main body of the regiment at Tidworth who were, shall we say, not quite up to the mark.
So were you C Squadron QRIH? I had many good nights on your tank decks, and spent a week on the Plain in your tanks, it was so much better than tabbing it!

My cousin's husband was in the IDB, he was a Queen's Own Highlander. He gave me one of the shoulder flashes - still got it somewhere.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using ARRSE mobile app

So were you C Squadron QRIH? I had many good nights on your tank decks, and spent a week on the Plain in your tanks, it was so much better than tabbing it!
Gulity. I take it you were on a course then? You're obviously not that marine captain who squealed to be let off after half an hour because he couldn't take the violent movement of the tank over an impact area? Or the young cavalry officer who pooped his pants in the gunner's seat?

Some take to tanks - some don't.

One of these fine fellows was attached to my section for a day's fun on a Platoon Commanders' Course. He was a good soldier, but must have been bored because he disappeared for a smoke during a firefight. That gave me an extra problem, but although I wasn't happy with him at the time, it did make me pay more attention later which is no bad thing. Thanks pal, you rotter.

My cousin's husband was in the IDB, he was a Queen's Own Highlander. He gave me one of the shoulder flashes - still got it somewhere.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using ARRSE mobile app
I think I knew him - was his name Elvis by any chance?

I was C/Sgt 2 i/c APC Platoon for 2 yrs from formation. Had a very enjoyable tour.

Latest Threads