The Incredible Colonel Peter Ortiz USMC, OBE

A better photo of Colonel Ortiz. Note the OSS parachute wing peeking out of the right side of the picture on his left shoulder. The USMC personnel wore their OSS wings on their left shoulder while the US Army personnel wore theirs on their right shoulder.
635876169131532603-ortiz-3-002-jpg.jpg

I would have loved to have been on the parade square when Ortiz popped out as a newly uniformed USMC recruit wearing all his decorations.........I would imagine that the DI had an R. Lee Ermey moment.

ugly

LE
I would have loved to have been on the parade square when Ortiz popped out as a newly uniformed USMC recruit wearing all his decorations.........I would imagine that the DI had an R. Lee Ermey moment.
TE Lawrence as an ordinary RAF airmen in the late 20's told to go and get his medals for a parade!

ugly

LE
A better photo of Colonel Ortiz. Note the OSS parachute wing peeking out of the right side of the picture on his left shoulder. The USMC personnel wore their OSS wings on their left shoulder while the US Army personnel wore theirs on their right shoulder. View attachment 386329
With a Tashe? Very unorthodox

In 1981 at basic in Fort Sill Oklahoma we had an older recruit with a stache who was prior service (at that time the army made you go back to basic if you had been out longer than 5 years) and on our first week we had a class A inspection and the dude is wearing at least 2 rows of ribbons. One of the drill sergeants from another platoon sees him, runs up and hugs him and we were shocked.

they served in the A Shau Valley vietnam together in the 101st, needless to say Basic was a gentleman's course for him after that

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
In 1981 at basic in Fort Sill Oklahoma we had an older recruit with a stache who was prior service (at that time the army made you go back to basic if you had been out longer than 5 years) and on our first week we had a class A inspection and the dude is wearing at least 2 rows of ribbons. One of the drill sergeants from another platoon sees him, runs up and hugs him and we were shocked.

they served in the A Shau Valley vietnam together in the 101st, needless to say Basic was a gentleman's course for him after that
My father re-enlisted in the early 1970s, having come out in the big round of 1969 regimental disbandments. At the point he came out, he had eight years behind him but lost all rank - there weren't the retention incentives we have now. The corporal who was 'training' him second time around stopped the squad during drill one day, looked at my father and said, "This is ridiculous. You know more than me. You should be teaching me. I'm not putting you through this. Bugger off back to the billets."

There are some honourable people out there.

Ashau Valley was a crucible.

By the way Ortiz is likely in the ONLY Hollywood movie that shows the Royal Marine Commandos in the Korean war

"Retreat hell"

Latest Threads