Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The increase of shitposting on ARRSE.

Whilst I'm not going to deny that that is a possibility, I find it hard to believe that somewhere there is a Russian budget holder who has managed to convince his superiors of the necessities of funding an attempt to influence a bunch of old farts who drank West Germany dry and reminisce about That Rifle, DPM and putties. Christ, some of the members here remember ammo boots!
They must have more roubles than sense.

My Best Boots were double soled... and gleaming... wore them with puttees too - while cutting a dash in tartan hosetops and KD/OG shorts!
Now... umm... what's the topic?

Slime

LE
You appear to be defining shitposting when the internet can't even agree what it is.

I would call that "sweeping generalization"

Is it not much easier to define a post creator with "conspiraloon", "lefty", "righty", "godbotherer", "apologist", "w4nker", "sock", "troll", "YUM" and "walt" and my favourite classic "ARRSE vermin"

Any other way and it wouldn't be ARRSE.

To me, a shitpost is something that is quick, effortless and lacking context and often batshit crazy, off the wall.
The closest ARRSE lingo I would use fo shitpost is "crayoning".

EDIT: 184461 is a Troll

Have a look at your list of types. None of those cover the type of poster employed by the Internet research agency as an example. Trying to say lefty or righty also won’t cover those posters/avatars as they will post whatever type of politics would work in any given thread.

Conspiraloon won’t necessarily cover either as they could be gathering info, or joining in with a fact based thread.

God botherer only applies to religious posts.
Sock doesn't cover them either, even though some avatars may have different people typing under the same avatar.

Walt doesn’t apply as the poster may have military service, or nay not be claiming to have any.

When you look at posts with complex and pre made graphs, charts, text pieces, articles, photos or scientific reports those don’t really come under the quick or lazy idea.
Add to the above that on various sites the shitposts often coincide with the release or publication of a specific story from a specific government, and agree and endorse that government release (and posted by multiple avatars across multiple sites all at the same time) then again that’s not quick or lazy.

As for batshit crazy, that would depend if the reader knew the posts was factual, lies or batshit crazy :)
If we had taken KGB at face value, and believed what he posted on the MH17 shoot down due to KGB being a former air defence officer he might have looked like he was telling us what had happened.
But, as some of us knew the flight parameters for the SU25 we knew his claims were completely made up, and that the photo ‘evidence’ he posted was also false.
He assured us that version was true, then without admitting that was a lie then assured us other versions were also true.

He supported over 30 different versions of the Salisbury poisonings too.

The difference imho between KGB, YarS/Grey Fox perhaps trolling the site, and a shitposter who is shitposting are often quite stark. KGB types what he says is his opinion or experience, whereas a typical shitposter will post multiple articles per post, often from totally uncredited sources, or with the article not backing up their headline title. Funnily enough shitposters are often very vague about their background or life experience, which sometimes fits in with your ‘walt’ title. The problem being that they not only get the basics of military life wrong, but when caught out try to say everyone else is wrong :)

Open your eyes! Don't be one of the sheeple! I mean, who among us hasn't uncovered a vast conspiracy, overlooked by Government and intelligence services, while sitting in our underpants in a bed-sit complete with Bacofoil TM hat?
Is it you? The unsung hero of the Bastion attack? I'm fizzing at the bunghole here x

Whilst I'm not going to deny that that is a possibility, I find it hard to believe that somewhere there is a Russian budget holder who has managed to convince his superiors of the necessities of funding an attempt to influence a bunch of old farts who drank West Germany dry and reminisce about That Rifle, DPM and putties. Christ, some of the members here remember ammo boots!
They must have more roubles than sense.
You underestimate the levels of paranoia in Russia - and ever thus. KGB officers lived in fear of being recalled from Embassies to Moscow Central in the 1980s so made increasingly ludicrous stories to keep themselves out of Lubyanka Prison.

Whereas you may think that's an interesting but archaic story from the past, can I refer to last November's stories of the 'Army chiefs demanding the Navy lease a carrier to the Americans'? As we know, there was absolutely no truth in this preposterous suggestion; it was Russian mischief-making, apparently, and filled up on this site alone many, many pages of outrage - and shitposting. FaceBook and other social media was filled with similar silly stories relating to SDSR. CDS refers to it obliquely in his traditional end of year speech at RUSI.

Open your eyes! Don't be one of the sheeple! I mean, who among us hasn't uncovered a vast conspiracy, overlooked by Government and intelligence services, while sitting in our underpants in a bed-sit complete with Bacofoil TM hat?

You're one of those spying on me, aren't you?

Tinfoil hat obviously needs another layer of peanut butter to keep out your mind control rays.

You're one of those spying on me, aren't you?

Tinfoil hat obviously needs another layer of peanut butter to keep out your mind control rays.

Wade Tillman/Looking Glass walt

It is the Squirrels fault...they are trying to take over the world.