Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The increase of shitposting on ARRSE.

Slime

LE
It has to be said, they really are appallingly bad - I don't recall 118 making a single valid point to be honest?

To be fair though, not all shitposters are Russian trolls. John G doesn't half post a load of shit too.

As you say, a shitposter can be from any persuasion, be it business, political or whatever.

In the final days before the general election lot of Facebook groups were swamped by an influx of new posters with very strong political views. Those new posters also wanted to post lots and lots of text info or quotes from their favoured party, this stopped any other meaningful discussion.

One of the local sites I use is for buying and selling furniture.
It was suddenly swamped with lots of pro Labour posters saying only Labour could save the country, or that voters who voted Tory or Lib Dem were evil.

While the ‘new’ posters had lots to say and post it was notable that they didn’t have posting histories, photos or timelines and had created their accounts purely for the GE.

What was comical was that many of them referred to the ‘local hospital’ (for the group concerned) and were saying how bad the A and E dept was, or how they had been kept waiting too long in the A and E dept due to Tory cuts.

While their stories were heart warming and a damning inditement on Tory cuts they had made one error.
The hospital they were complaining about doesn’t have an a and E dept, and is purely a community hospital :)

This occurred in an area with a Tory MP. I’m sure the reverse happened in Labour areas.

The more important question I'd be asking is (and don't take this personally as it's a universal question), why do people rsdpond to shitposters?

Like most sites, ARRSE has it's fair share of loonies. 118, skylog, Earth, Maalox, Greyfox etc along with some of old, Blondebint, Flashbang/Mk4No1, Shibusa etc.

If people would ignore them, two things would happen:

1. They get bored quickly and move on the the next site who appears to respond to them (negative attention is still attention).

2. It makes it far more easier to moderate and get rid of an unwanted troll. Tagging these lunatics into threads then reporting them because you didn't like their response is the equivalent of whingeing about getting paint on the arse of your jeans because you ignored the wet paint sign on the park bench.

And despite the so-called intelligence of the members of this site, I sense they will somehow be unable to help themselves from posting regardless.
Spot on. Close the thread.

Slime

LE
@Slime From what you posted on the first page am I correct in thinking that the wibble posted by “Russian Troll” labelled callsigns should be refuted and counter arguments (ie, facts) made, but the troll should neither be directly quoted nor have their username copied in full in any reply?

Slime

LE
@Slime From what you posted on the first page am I correct in thinking that the wibble posted by “Russian Troll” labelled callsigns should be refuted and counter arguments (ie, facts) made, but the troll should neither be directly quoted nor have their username copied in full in any reply?

I just wanted to explain why I was using the term shitposter, so others who hadn’t heard the term wouldn’t think I was trying to bypass the swear filter ect.

While I made reference to one poster, the general idea for any shitposter is to not feed an income as well as not feeding attention.

For the web in general, if a poster is being paid to post on a site it doesn’t make the slightest difference to them if they are called names or are bored stiff. The subject matter doesnt have to be of interest to them, and they might violently disagree with they post.

Some shitposters might be political or religious zealots and merely want to stop threads dead on subjects such as gay rights, or pro choice/abortion websites. for them, they feel they gave a duty to kill any opposing conversation.
Some shitposters (regardless of website) are paid if they achieve a set number of quotes or replies across multiple websites. We could all post on ten or twenty websites per day if we wanted, and a few direct or ‘name checking replies’ from each site would soon add up :)

I can only say that I have seen shitposters complain if they don’t get a direct reply, or name checked in a post about them. I have seen a poster refuse to answer posts unless they get a direct reply, or the other poster links to the existing conversation. this could be (just a hunch) due to the shitposter posting on multiple sites at once, perhaps in more than one language and thus losing track of who they have spoken to.

As per my initial post, this only refers to dedicated shitposters, abd has nothing to do with the normal internet trolls many sites get.

Perhaps you miss one of the points of shitposting, which is to close threads down :)

But not all people who close threads down are shitposters

Slime

LE

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Whilst I'm not going to deny that that is a possibility, I find it hard to believe that somewhere there is a Russian budget holder who has managed to convince his superiors of the necessities of funding an attempt to influence a bunch of old farts who drank West Germany dry and reminisce about That Rifle, DPM and putties. Christ, some of the members here remember ammo boots!
They must have more roubles than sense.
It’s the long game. We also remember heavy warfare. They need to keep us distracted.

I mean, when we last - where was I?

Shitposting has possibly had the opposite effect than intended, and resulted in more research of subjects concerned.
They can succeed with convincing some people and fail with others.

There is the argument to ignore them and not give them bites, but that probably fits with basic trolls and sock accounts, whereas the shit posters leave a trail that has the danger of implying fact when unchallenged - no matter how many times they are repeated

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
My ignore list is generally populated by the shitposters, John g, 118 and domovoy or whatever he calls himself these days. It makes arrse a more intellectual place....
However, I don’t have people like kgb, bugsy or spider on ignore as they are fun to laugh at.

Shitposting has possibly had the opposite effect than intended, and resulted in more research of subjects concerned.
They can succeed with convincing some people and fail with others.

There is the argument to ignore them and not give them bites, but that probably fits with basic trolls and sock accounts, whereas the shit posters leave a trail that has the danger of implying fact when unchallenged - no matter how many times they are repeated
I think the OP has a point and I also agree with what you say.

We're in an age where the communication of ideas and opinions is almost unrestricted, the Internet has made the sharing of info easy.

It can have the effect of us being better informed but can also spread bad ideas for whatever reason. Be that political, religious, cultural et al.

Everyone gets a voice and there's a massive audience.

Open your eyes! Don't be one of the sheeple! I mean, who among us hasn't uncovered a vast conspiracy, overlooked by Government and intelligence services, while sitting in our underpants in a bed-sit complete with Bacofoil TM hat?

I haven't. Sainsbury's Basics foil leaves more money for toilet duck.

I’m not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but after seeing some posters unaware of the modern phrase ‘side hustle’ I thought it might be a good idea to explain the modern phrases shitposter, or shitposting (I can already see how that can go wrong :) ).

To reference this a serial shitposter on ARRSE is 184461.

Shiposting is a specific style of posting, so refers to him posting lots of copy and paste articles. repeatedly posting the same articles. posting lengthy texts of other people’s opinions to swamp a thread. It’s worth noting 118 very very rarely types BELLINGCAT but does type WIKILEAKS.
Instead of typing BELLINGCAT he will type BALLBAG, but he is happy to post pics of copy and pasted texts showing BELLINGCAT as because they are photos they won’t link him to BELLINGCAT (obviously they will to Wikileaks as he types that himself).

In many threads his copy and past links don’t even say the things he says they say, or are deliberately cropped to mislead.
But they still swamp the thread.

It also goes without saying that he rarely ever actually discusses any point, and is simply saying his version of events, this was most notable in the Manchester arena bomb thread where he said there had never been a bomb, it was all a hoax and he knew more than the people directly involved in the bombing, or those who dealt with the aftermath.........despite them having first hand knowledge, and him never having been there.

It goes without saying that he knows more about the Skripal affair than the Skripals, the police, the U.K. government and the other countries the U.K. shared its evidence with. :) Again, he has no first hand knowledge of the event, but says those that do are wrong.

He also said the original Westminster bridge attack was fake or staged.
For a bigger and worldwide known event he also denied the Jewish holocaust in WW2 happened as ‘Western people’ are taught. with him its always the case that the U.K., USA or West are in the wrong.

You appear to be defining shitposting when the internet can't even agree what it is.

I would call that "sweeping generalization"

Is it not much easier to define a post creator with "conspiraloon", "lefty", "righty", "godbotherer", "apologist", "w4nker", "sock", "troll", "YUM" and "walt" and my favourite classic "ARRSE vermin"

Any other way and it wouldn't be ARRSE.

To me, a shitpost is something that is quick, effortless and lacking context and often batshit crazy, off the wall.
The closest ARRSE lingo I would use fo shitpost is "crayoning".

EDIT: 184461 is a Troll

To me shitposting always has some political motivation, merely trying to shut down conversation by trolling is not shitposting other Arrse would be full of shitposters

Take our Russian friends, KBG Resident would be considered a troll and nearly all the rest are shit posters

One at least appears to have a modicum of intelligence whilst pushing an agenda, the others well...

Latest Threads