Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The increase of shitposting on ARRSE.

The whole subject is quite interesting to follow, the only sad part is that while Americans are treated to fake Russian accounts showing profile pics of attractive woman, with posting ‘addresses’ in California, here in the UK we get the ‘single bloke sat in his pants’ profiles :)
They've got the site's demographics down to a tee.

WALT

LE
As an example, a shitposter could be one person or multiple people typing under the same avatar, or could be a freelance shitposter able to post from their own home at hours to suit them, but their payments (if paid, depend completely on direct replies).

Hold on just one moment! Are you suggesting that people get paid to post bollocks?!

That's it, I'm sacking my agent............

Slime

LE
He refuses to accept the view that his Dad was unlikely to have been conducting close target recce of the VC with some mysterious SOF/CIA SADSOG type group after being plucked from a bar by members of the aforementioned mysterious group who thought he was just the chap to join them despite his having no military training whatsoever...

As a result, the thread has been sadly derailed and holed.

I did see that happening.
But was just making the point that it was in no way the same as shitposting :)

He just came across as someone very proud of his dad imho.

It’s a shame really as I feel he would have learned a lot more if he had started a whole new thread, and asked for info about the merchant navy in that period.

Maybe the thread was the first time he had actually heard of the difficulties of a white Englishman not standing out in the theatres mentioned.

Hold on just one moment! Are you suggesting that people get paid to post bollocks?!

I've said this before and it bears repeating - there is a paid element on this site whose sole goal is to disrupt it; there is no way that their claimed lives and careers could accommodate the volume of material posted by them online. Furthermore, it is quite obvious when shift-change has taken place and whose sock belongs to whom.

Slime

LE

You need to be on a better cut lol.

Folks in the Russian Internet research agency (AKA Russian troll farm) are reported to earn 25-40,000 rubles per month, and depending who you ask, they have between 600-1000 employees. As per above, some are on site and some work from home (the sat in pants reference).

The pro Russian shitposters love to post on Western sites that Bellingcat posts are paid for by the British government, or just accuse random posters of being in 77X brigade, and thus being paid to post.

It seems there is money in all this shit :)

I’m off to sack my agent too :)

I have noticed a increase in what look like recent new posters who are posting rascist/ borderline rascist stuff , perhaps thinking wrongly that this site is a home for them. The sort that put up shit memes etc.

WALT

LE
Folks in the Russian Internet research agency (AKA Russian troll farm) are reported to earn 25-40,000 rubles per month, and depending who you ask, they have between 600-1000 employees. As per above, some are on site and some work from home (the sat in pants reference).

Whilst I'm not going to deny that that is a possibility, I find it hard to believe that somewhere there is a Russian budget holder who has managed to convince his superiors of the necessities of funding an attempt to influence a bunch of old farts who drank West Germany dry and reminisce about That Rifle, DPM and putties. Christ, some of the members here remember ammo boots!
They must have more roubles than sense.

Can one reject an ‘excellent’ if it’s from the subject of the OP? Asking for a friend.

Whilst I'm not going to deny that that is a possibility, I find it hard to believe that somewhere there is a Russian budget holder who has managed to convince his superiors of the necessities of funding an attempt to influence a bunch of old farts who drank West Germany dry and reminisce about That Rifle, DPM and putties. Christ, some of the members here remember ammo boots!
On behalf of the civvvie membership of this site I would like to say the shitposters don't fool us either, their product really is appallingly bad. I wouldn't like to be them when their bosses find out how much they have defrauded their state and how much of a fool they are making of Putin.

I did see that happening.
But was just making the point that it was in no way the same as shitposting :)

He just came across as someone very proud of his dad imho.

It’s a shame really as I feel he would have learned a lot more if he had started a whole new thread, and asked for info about the merchant navy in that period.

Maybe the thread was the first time he had actually heard of the difficulties of a white Englishman not standing out in the theatres mentioned.

It’s a very good example though of the problem with shitposters though.

I don’t think it started as a shitpost. But it slid into one, and I was as guilty as anyone else in continuing to reply to him long after the conversation had passed its ‘best before’ date.

He also ignored your advice on moving it to a new thread, unfortunately.

Do you mean they’ve taken ammo boots out of service? Gosh...nurse!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
It has to be said, they really are appallingly bad - I don't recall 118 making a single valid point to be honest?

To be fair though, not all shitposters are Russian trolls. John G doesn't half post a load of shit too.

Ritch

LE
It has to be said, they really are appallingly bad - I don't recall 118 making a single valid point to be honest?

To be fair though, not all shitposters are Russian trolls. John G doesn't half post a load of shit too.

I remember when 118 joined. He seemed to be perfectly alright but then someone started a 9/11 thread and he just went from 0 to wibble in 0.4 seconds.

I have him on ignore. It makes for a more enjoyable experience.

A further point to note is that such posters have absolutely no sense of self-awareness, compensated for by a remarkable level of self-regard and feelings of intellectual superiority over others, particularly those who disagree with them. If the dissenter manifestly knows more about the subject than the poster, evasion or ad Homs become the order of the day.

As 118 has demonstrated with admirable aplomb further up this thread.

I have to say that I admire the forbearance of the COs; in the days when I was in possession of a ban hammer on another forum, 118 would've been subjected to a robust smiting in fairly short order...

Latest Threads