The importance of social cohesion in recovering from natural disasters

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Excognito, May 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When disaster strikes, it's survival of the sociable - environment - 17 May 2013 - New Scientist

Common sense strikes again, but it's nice to have the data to support it - It appears as though the kind of neighbourhood you live in has significant affect upon chances of survival in both the physical and mental sense:

The good news includes the observation that improved access to technology doesn't isolate people from their environment as much as is feared:
    On one of my tours, I had several small sections, each with its own office, down a long corridor, the doors to which were usually closed. Almost my first act was to open each door and insist that, unless they were doing interviews or such, the doors remained open. Interestingly, what used to be a fairly non-social unit became much more cohesive over the next few months and well and truly passed the next available "Christmas Party" test - everybody, including those who didn't go to such things, went. OTOH, it may be just that I provided them with a common target for derision. :biggrin:

2. I think a lot has to do with national capacity to recover the basics quickly and in most countries that means government capacity. The kinds of disasters big enough to qualify are big enough to overwhelm the resources of smaller entities and even weak and incapable governments.

It may seem obvious but I sometimes look at our own post-Enlightenment rhetoric and wonder if we haven't forgotten the basics - governments are there to govern.

NSM are a great way to bind communities together and not just at the local level. During this year's Sichuan earthquake, the government opened a Weibo site for people in affected areas to post information and pictures of the situation in their area so that disaster efforts could be targetted at the greatest need. Compared with the 2008 one when the relief efforts were steered by patrols of airborne troops parachuted in to get eyes-on, this time went far more smoothly.

4. Yes, thanks for that.

Do you think that the aftermath of a major earthquake or hurricane could be coped with By The Power Of Twitter? It's a communication tool, that's all it is. Moving supplies, equipment and personnel from where they are to where they're needed is what counts and that's where good communications come in - as a means of identifying need to the people with the resources.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I rather think that the OP was talking about the power of small communities rather than nation states. I had always considered that, at the very least, a strong government would recognised that. In fact I always considered that older Governments were too wise to think that a strong central government had much effect on individual communities.
    The report was after all about small local communities having more effect than weak ones and nothing to do with Central Government. It also expressed some surprise that this has not changed in the modern, digital, age.To be concise it is saying a strong Central Government can help local communities but more easily those that are prepared to be helped and are strong already. To pretend it is saying anything else would be propaganda.

6. The article used several examples of natural disaster to justify the premise but didn't examine the extent to which even the strongest communities are helpless or can break down under stresses which overwhelm their resources. I'm not disagreeing that a strong sense of common identity is a valuable factor in coping with the large-scale shocks but they are not a universal panacea. Just as government can be too big, it can also be too small -it needs to have a certain minimum level of capability to be effective.

7. I agree with what you are saying there. Without a strong group of small communities all Governments big and small are powerless. Small communities can be overwhelmed by large disasters and require help from outside the community . A good balance of the two are the ideal and only realistic solution. Even modern communities and Governments display this phenomenon. so strong communities and strong Governments can overcome bigger disasters than weak communities and, or Governments. We have learned nothing new then. Interesting for it to be confirmed by some good research though isn't it.