The Implementation Thread.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Perhaps this should become the main Brexit thread now and the Endgame one locked.

Thoughts?

It's just another prematurely titled Brexit thread. There's nothing to implement yet.
We are now in the implementation period. The point of the thread was to discuss what happens over the next 11 months and to inform of the various changes or lack of in that time.

I didn’t think I’d have to explain that to a half colonel.

Just heard Hillary Ben being all negative and saying how we will struggle to get any deal.
What we definitely need now are people who will do their utmost to deal sensibly with Europe. Boris reckons he will unite the nation. He won't, but if we can get to next year with something resembling a decent deal, we can finally move on. Lots of work to do and you just know that certain MPs and certain parts of the media will do their utmost to spoil it for everyone.
Anyway we'll all be dead from coronavirus by this time next year!

Lets start by getting this up and running, ready to implement in full on 01 January 2021

No if's - No but's - Just do it.
I hope theyve taken on and trained enough inspectors to make that work. Seven Ps and all that.

I want Bojo and Co to pull their socks up and say fcuk PC politics and how the media portrays them.. I doubt that will happen though.
I think BoJo is saying '**** the media' by negating the BBC (our public broadcaster) and going directly to the public with Twitter.

Much like Trump.

But BoJo's doing a better job of it.

I'm not sure that's a good thing mind.

I think BoJo is saying '**** the media' by negating the BBC (our public broadcaster) and going directly to the public with Twitter.

Much like Trump.

But BoJo's doing a better job of it.

I'm not sure that's a good thing mind.
Usual suspect:" But, but , but we DEMAND that the PM is interviewed by the BBC".

Boris-" F8ck off, who do you think you are, the bloody Gestapo ?"

So basically, the clock in Downing Street was a damp squib?

I look forward to the next 11 months of both sides headbutts each other in negotiations and the UK leaving without any deal. Then NI can leave on the same grounds as the rest of the UK.
Not until at least 2026

4 years after Brexit (there can be a Stormont vote) and a 2 year notice period

Yokel

LE
Not sure I agree with you wholly there.. Whilst we have without doubt poured money into the London Establishment, I have some significant concerns that whilst they may be clever, this is mostly focussed on an ability to line their own pockets and not actually carrying out the tasks they were given..

My wish in New Britain is to see a value shift in society, where integrity, honesty and competence is valued more than an ability to spout bullshit. We need to insist that the power that has been acquired over the past decades by the bureaucracy via the EU backdoor is returned to society, and that the rule of the technocrat (who is rarely technically competent) is reversed..

I, for one, will be watching them like a hawk!
Good luck with that! I suppose that out politicians will no longer being able to play the "it is the fault of Brussels" card. I wonder if Government departments will be able to overcome there tendency to produce needlessly long documents and needlessly complex rules?

Like you I would like values like integrity, attention to detail, and learning from experience, to be at the heart of public life.

HE117

LE
Good luck with that! I suppose that out politicians will no longer being able to play the "it is the fault of Brussels" card. I wonder if Government departments will be able to overcome there tendency to produce needlessly long documents and needlessly complex rules?

Like you I would like values like integrity, attention to detail, and learning from experience, to be at the heart of public life.
Well you say that.. but my view is that it is this issue that is at the core of many of our current problems, and that re-establishing some of our previous levels of integrity and trust is the way to get us out of our current difficulties!

My comments regarding the manipulation of power by the bureaucracy via Europe came about because of a statement by a German politician responding to some of our complains about the EC. His response to our claims that the EC is "not democratic" was that this was not true because " these regulations come from the member countries.. the relevant department in the UK makes a request to their equivalent department in the EU who considers it and incorporates the request in an EU directive if it is acceptable! therefore the EU does not generate regulations, they all come from the member countries, and UK has sponsored many of the regulations... how can this not be democratic?"

The fact that the requirement for a regulation has come directly from the UK civil service to the EU commission without going through any UK Parliament or democratic process and the first UK Parliament or Public hear about it is when it is embodied in a draft EU directive illustrates nicely the different weltanshaung between UK and Continental perspectives! You need to remember that the civil service in both France and Germany work on significantly different principles to ours as a result of history and culture. The stereotypical view of Germany is that they follow regulations assiduously and that the French generally ignore them...!

The UK system used to work on a system of mutual trust and cooperation, in that there was a general belief that you should behave reasonably honestly and that provided intentions were honourable and common sense was applied, the benefit of doubt was generally given. Authority and responsibility was also devolved to a very much lower level than is currently the case and individuals were trusted to behave sensibly. For many years this was condemned by the purists as "Muddling Through" however it did seem to work, was flexible and efficient and tended to limit the effects of a bad decision! The force of law was more focused on "bad character" rather than technical acts of criminality, and the judgement of the legal system was more sensitive to the behaviour of the individual regarding trustworthiness. A similar set of circumstances can be seen to have occurred in our political systems..

IMHO what has happened is that by mixing European and UK systems of law, democratic and societal process we have ended up with a mess. There is also the effect of US influences on our legal and political systems from shows from "Perry Como" to "The West Wing" introducing concepts that are wholly alien to UK democracy..

The problem with our current pseudo techno-legal system is that it simply does not work! Everything from the CAP to Grenfell and the NHS is an expensive cluster! Nobody trusts anyone to do anything with the result that we are now wading under a blanket of restrictive regulations which cost a fortune and achieve nothing more that interfering with legitimate activity whilst being roundly ignored by those who are doing us harm....!

Trust is the key! Trust enables folk to cooperate efficiently, react quickly and live fulfilled and happy lives! We all know this! Trust however is valuable, needs to be won with effort and be easily lost with drastic consequences. Is it any surprise that the first act of any dictator is to attack and break down any systems of societal trust? Trust used to be UK's major asset.. "My word is my bond" is the most flexible and efficient way to do business!

...where did it all go?

Last edited:
Just heard Hillary Ben being all negative and saying how we will struggle to get any deal.
What we definitely need now are people who will do their utmost to deal sensibly with Europe. Boris reckons he will unite the nation. He won't, but if we can get to next year with something resembling a decent deal, we can finally move on. Lots of work to do and you just know that certain MPs and certain parts of the media will do their utmost to spoil it for everyone.
Anyway we'll all be dead from coronavirus by this time next year!
Good job he's not on the negotiating team then! Interestingly, I wonder if we shall see a continuation of the stream of UK parliamentarians (and others) nipping over to Brussels iot seek to undermine HMG's position in pursuance of their own agendas?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Not until at least 2026

4 years after Brexit (there can be a Stormont vote) and a 2 year notice period
No deal in 11 months and we're gone as well.

Oyibo

LE
Perhaps this should become the main Brexit thread now and the Endgame one locked.

Thoughts?
I'm personally not in favour of locking threads once a milestone has been reached. Whilst the present and the future is probably the best way to move forward, the past cannot be ignored - there are many lines of argument on the 'endgame' thread that have direct relevance to what is happening now and what will happen in the future.

Notwithstanding that, the title of this thread is apposite for Brexit at the moment.

I want Bojo and Co to pull their socks up and say fcuk PC politics and how the media portrays them.. I doubt that will happen though.
Don’t count your chickens as it’s early days, the left are still in mourning & seeking any excuse to blame something or someone who’s disagrees with them.

A combination of BoJo, Cummings & strong 80 majority in parliament could well produce a different Tory party, even pundits and commentators are mostly in agreement that no more normal politics now the swamp has been partially cleared.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest Threads