• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

The Imperial War Musem.Going tomorrow,any tips or hints.

ABF9

Old-Salt
#1
Going tomorrow with my son who is almost 14 and am really looking forward to it. :D


Last time I went was the day England played Scotland in Euro96. :?
 
#2
There is a lot to se in one day - you might like to miss out the Art collection. The Holocaust bit is very good but might be a bit OTT for a 14 year old. Enjoy.
 

ABF9

Old-Salt
#3
Mr_Deputy said:
walk up the steps, use the front door, look at the signs, walk around the exhibits.
Yes thanks for that.


About as much use as a one legged bloke in an arse kicking contest. 8O
 
#4
if you want to make the most of the day look at the website and plan what you both want to see........and you have to pay to see the James Bond exhibition. Just keep in mind you won't do it all in one day .......you can always return (again and again in my case)
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#5
Its a good museum especially if you like the National Army one as downstairs is very much like the NAM. The trench experience needs to be done in very small groups otherwise the japanese tourists tend to spoil the atmosphere. Good examples of Post WW2 conflicts there and you can still (or could) walk through the flight decks of Halifax and Lancs.
 

ABF9

Old-Salt
#6
Mr_Deputy said:
ABF9 said:
Mr_Deputy said:
walk up the steps, use the front door, look at the signs, walk around the exhibits.
Yes thanks for that.


About as much use as a one legged bloke in an arse kicking contest. 8O
I am hoping you have checked their website seeing as you are on-line?

Imperial War Museum website: http://london.iwm.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.00b&PHPSESSID=76f703cc8a2f68c970ba084f3ec0b021
Has info on current special exhibits.

Now you have two legs!
I never thought of that!

You must be an officer !!! :roll:
 

ABF9

Old-Salt
#7
Poppy said:
if you want to make the most of the day look at the website and plan what you both want to see........and you have to pay to see the James Bond exhibition. Just keep in mind you won't do it all in one day .......you can always return (again and again in my case)

I noticed the James Bond exhibition on there web site and was woundering if it was worth the money seems as there is so much else to see.
 

ABF9

Old-Salt
#8
Mr_Deputy said:
ABF9 said:
Mr_Deputy said:
ABF9 said:
Mr_Deputy said:
walk up the steps, use the front door, look at the signs, walk around the exhibits.
Yes thanks for that.


About as much use as a one legged bloke in an arse kicking contest. 8O
I am hoping you have checked their website seeing as you are on-line?

Imperial War Museum website: http://london.iwm.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.00b&PHPSESSID=76f703cc8a2f68c970ba084f3ec0b021
Has info on current special exhibits.

Now you have two legs!
I never thought of that!

You must be an officer !!! :roll:
Why? Do you have a problem with authority?
Only when the authority talks out of its back passage.
 

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
#11
Stuff the kid with sarnies before you go in. The Cafe is a bit steep. And take a can of wasp nest destroyer. To spazz the CCTV. When you want to nick things.

*EDIT* Afterwards stroll up to All Bar One at Shad Thames near the Design Museum. Silly prices but you can sit in the sun and peer at Tower Bridge. The lad can peer at long leggedy girls in short skirts.

Enjoy
 
#12
All bar one is over 21s though isn't it?


I assume you are going to the IWM in Lambeth - not the one at Salford.

If you are going to Salford - don't bother. Its rubbish.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#14
The founders arms by Blackfriars bridge is a better pub and the 3 Stags on the corner opposite the IWM serves a nice IPA albeit pricey at £3 a pint!
 
#17
It's ages since I was there, but I loved it. It's the little things that got me - the wicker boots from the Eastern Front (Christ, how cold is it when you walk about with two picknick hampers on your feet?), the tank armour being nowhere near as thick as you'd think.

If one of you is a kit nut you'll drive the other nuts - like going shopping for shoes with a woman.
 
#18
stab-bloke said:
VC & GC Collection, inc Noel Chavasse's VC & Bar. Definition of Hero. End of.
from what I remember the chavasse VC and bar isn't actually in the main VC&GC collection's room - its in the WW1 section.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#19
I'm there once a month for a meeting so if I can keep out of the pub I stick my nose in the door an hour or two early and wander around the exhibits until the meeting starts.
 

Latest Threads