The Iconic image of the British Infanteer?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Gundulph, Sep 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you were to pick one image as the iconic image of the British Infanteer, i.e. one that as an Infantryman you would like to see representing the British Infantry at it's best, which one would you select.....

Post your images below...

Cheers guys,

Any help very much appreciated... 8)

Would it be one of these or something else:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Thats not your common or garden, county, fish and chip infantry mob, thats Her Majesty's Royal Marine Commandos :D

3. Doesn't matter...

4. It would have to be that picture from the Falklands, the one that has marines yomping with the bloke at the back with the union jack sticking up. I'd go as far to say the iconic British armed forces picture of all time.

5. That's very true, there is also the picture of the young rifleman after a battle in Iraq...

6. [​IMG]

Although maybe not strictly speaking 'British' (I'm not entirely sure where the photo originates) it's still a striking photo!

[​IMG]

7. Damn, but you young 'uns are narcissistic. :wink:

Iconic British infantry? That image can only ever come from the crucible.

[​IMG]

8. This would get my vote:-

[​IMG]

'A Gentleman in Khaki' by R Caton Woodville

9. Well. It makes a change from the white flag they usually fly.

10. Given photography was in it's infancy at the time one is never going to find a truly iconic war image from this period. Still, I always liked the respective images of Colour Sergeant "Willie" McGregor of the Scots Fusilier Guards and Colour Sergeant Gardiner of the 42nd Highlanders, the Black Watch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For anyone who hasn't been I recommend the Early War Photography: 1848-1860 exhibition which is on at the National Army Museum.

11. Predictable

12. They're Aussies and the the whole series of pictures was staged.

13. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

14. Seconded :D