The Ice Bar, Detmold. 1974-1977.

I've just been reading some of the very amusing anecdotes posted by some inmates formerly of 71 Aircraft; when, I read the words Ice Bar. Myself, and accomplished drinking chums: Steve Levitt, Trevor Bellis and Paul Lyndon, spent most of 1974-1977, getting pissed for England in the aforementioned boozer.
I remember Bob Rass, (the owner), was married to the very fragrant, Iris. I say that, but, for all I know she may have the head of a horse; having never set eyes on the woman when I was sober! She could cook though, there was a small kitchen at the end of the bar, and last thing after an all day session, was: ham and eggs. I remember on one occasion being down to me last ten Ds. So, having been on the beer all day, I thought I'd give the old plum brandy a cabby.
I asked Iris for ten 1 D shots. She lined them up on the bar, and because the stuff stank to high heaven, beermats were placed over the shot glasses. It took about 20 minutes. They all said it couldn't be done. How they all laughed and pointed. But, I bloody did it, folks. What happened next? Don't know miss! I woke up sometime the next day, wearing me 58 webbing belt, (with water bottle) and a pair of socks, It doesn't end there! For whatever reason, I had tried to give meself a haircut. I'd been hacking away with a pair of nail scissors. The worst part of it all was, I had shat in me army suitcase, all over me crash-out kit. Sad, but true.
Horses head aside, that Iris did have a nice pair of thruppenny's. Halcyon days!

I remember the Ice Bar well, I was REME attached to 655 Sqn in Detmold at the time (1976). But the owners name was Andreas and he was dutch, I have been to his home in Amsterdam. But the ham and eggs was just what was needed after playing dice all afternoon for drinks.

The Ice Bar.

Jeez.

The place where I started my drinking apprenticeship.

Nothing to do with AAC though. 4Fd/4Armd 1976 - 79.

I seem to recall a barmaid called Ula. (sp?) Might have a pic of her somewhere.

The Ice Bar.

Jeez.

The place where I started my drinking apprenticeship.

Nothing to do with AAC though. 4Fd/4Armd 1976 - 79.

I seem to recall a barmaid called Ula. (sp?) Might have a pic of her somewhere.
Ula was always around with Andreas, AFAIK she married a guy from 4 fd/Armd Wksp.

Sorry for not replying much sooner than I ought; Heidi sure had some dental issues, I had the pleasure of her company on quite a few occasions, as I did with, Petra, Illona etc. What excellent days they were, Harry. Back then, I, (like all of us) could drink all day and shag all night; now, alas and alack, I suspect that we're all getting a tad too old for all that malarkey. Great days, Harry. Hope all is well with you and yours. Kind regards. Paul. 4 Field Workshops.